Black Friday 2012: A List of Discounts on Apple Products and More
Note: Black Friday sales continue through the weekend for most retailers. Apple's sales have ended. Most app and software sales below will last until Monday. We've updated our chart below as of Nov 26, 2:30AM Eastern.
Black Friday kicks off on the day after Thanksgiving and offers customers short term sales on many products. While Apple did participate, their discounts tended to be smaller than other 3rd party retailers.
National retailers such as Apple and Best Buy charge local sales tax on all orders. So, the advantage of using other online-only retailers is not getting charged that sales tax at the time of order (though you are typically expected to report it later). Local sales taxes are automatically charged for the following retailers in the following states:
- Apple, Best Buy: All States
- MacMall: California, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Minnesota, Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin
- Amazon: California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, Washington
If you are in one of those states, it may make sense to look elsewhere or simply buy locally anyway if the savings are comparable.
Discounts on Apple Products
Apple offered their own modest discounts on specific Apple products. Here is a chart of the most competitive 3rd party Apple retailers:
|16GB iPad 4 (Wi-Fi)||$499||-$15||-||-|
|32GB iPad 4 (Wi-Fi)||$599||-$25||-||-|
|64GB iPad 4 (Wi-Fi)||$699||-$35||-||-|
|11" 1.7GHz 64GB MacBook Air||$999||-$60||-$100||-$99|
|11" 1.7GHz 128GB MacBook Air||$1099||-$60||-$55||-$59|
|13" 1.8GHz 128GB MacBook Air||$1199||-$79||-||-$59|
|13" 1.8GHz 256GB MacBook Air||$1499||-$79||-$120||-$59|
|13" 2.5GHz MacBook Pro||$1199||-$100||-||-$69|
|13" 2.9GHz MacBook Pro||$1499||-$100||-$70||-$69|
|15" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro||$1799||-$100||-$90||-$89|
|15" 2.6GHz MacBook Pro||$2199||-$119||-$120||-$119|
|13" 2.5GHz Retina MBP||$1699||-$100||-$85||-$84|
|13" 2.5GHz Retina MBP||$1999||-$139||-$140||-$139|
|15" 2.3GHz Retina MBP||$2199||-$101||-$88||-$20|
|15" 2.6GHz Retina MBP||$2799||-$111||-$150||-$111|
|2.5GHz Dual-Core Mac Mini||$599||-$10||-||-$10|
|2.3Ghz Quad-Core Mac Mini||$799||-$10||-||-$10|
Amazon's prices tend to fluctuate throughout the day. If BestBuy has no online stock, local stores may have inventory.
iPhone 5 / 5th Gen iPod Touch
AT&T has started offering a refurbished iPhone 5 (with contract) on their online store. Prices are $100 lower than new:
iOS and Mac App discounts are ongoing and can be seen in real time at AppShopper.com. We'd previously compiled a large list of the more interesting ones:
- Long list of iOS and Mac Software discounts
- MacUtility Bundle ($59.99) - Parallels Desktop 8, Snagit, VirusBarrier X6, MacOptimizer, Rubbertnet ($245 Value)
- MacLegion Bundle - ($49.99)- TechTool Pro, Freeway Pro, djay, Capo, Fantastical, RipIt, iRip, Beamer, Copy Paste Pro, Code Collector Pro ($548.80 Value)
- iStack Mac Bundle 2.0 ($49.99) - Camtasia 2, Circus Ponies NoteBook, CrossOver XI, FX Photo Studio Pro, LittleSnapper, Printopia, xTeam, MoneyBag, Habits, SyncMate Expert, Build iPhone & iPad Games Without Programming.
- MacGameStore - Up to 80% Off on Mac games
Other / Misc
- $100 iTunes Gift Card for $85
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 for $44.99
- iOS Game Controller iCADE, iCADE 8-Bitty, and JOYSTICK-IT
- MacSales (OWC) Black Friday Sale - Mac accessories, hard drives, memory
Bear Extender Bundle - Wi-Fi extender
Refurbished iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPads - from Woot
Please note that prices may fluctuate during the day. Several of the vendors listed are affiliate partners with MacRumors and referred sales may benefit the site financially. Please send in any notable sales to firstname.lastname@example.org.