imageDev-Team and Chronic Dev Team have released an untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. Developed by @pod2g, the new jailbreak is now available:

A few days ago, @pod2g gave the untether to both the iPhone devteam and the chronic devteam. We’ve put it into redsn0w 0.9.10 and PwnageTool, and the chronic devteam put it into a Cydia package (the same set of exploits is in all three).

Detailed instructions are available on each respective site. The new jailbreak is only available to devices prior to the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S which both use the A5 processor. Jailbreaks for those devices are still pending.

This is also the first "untethered" 5.0.1 jailbreak which allows the jailbreak to remain active without having to reconnect to a computer upon reboot.

Further discussion in our forums and discussion thread.

TC25 Avatar
Oh ok! So 1) by updating via itunes, its normal that it will erase everything on the phone then 2) retrieve it through our backup.. 3) then jailbreak....but how about our cr@ck3d apps, our achievements, highscores for ex. angry birds? sorry lots of questions.. :/

I was going to help until I saw this.
Xenomorph Avatar
What kind of idiot moron pirates apps less than a bloody DOLLAR? Jailbreakers are asinine, spend hundreds on a phone, dont pay for applications made by hard working developers. Go back to Linux if you are so stingy with money.

Jailbreakers are asinine? Jailbreaking isn't about pirating.

I've probably spent over a hundred dollars just on Cydia apps alone.

MyWi - $25
Barrel - $3
TetherMe - $2 (when I got it)
iBlacklist - $12
BiteSMS - $9
Cyntact - $2
FolderEnhancer - $2
LockInfo - $8
SMS GV Extensions - $3
Phone GV Extensions - $3
VoiceActiviator - $5
My3G
3G Unrestrictor
Gridlock
Snappy - $2
Navigate from Maps
MyOS - $1
(I don't remember how much everything was).

And even though it's free, I've donated at least $20 to the developer of Activator. I worked with him to help fix some bugs I had noticed, and felt like I needed to pay him a little for his time.

These apps are made by real people in their free time (not faceless corporations). They deserve our support for supporting our devices. I jailbreak and gladly pay for what I use.
Jailbreaking is about getting the ~freedom~ to do more with my devices. To get more features, to make my stuff able to do more than it was designed to do, etc. It's not about pirating or getting more free stuff.

Regarding apps from the App Store, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out I spent over a thousand dollars on those.
LogMeIn; $25, Navigon; $45 + $20 for addons, iTeleport; $20 - plus dozens of other professional-grade applications that cost quite a bit. Many were paid for twice for both iPhone and iPad versions. Not to mention the hundreds of games I have purchased for myself and others since 2009 (I gift a lot of applications to my wife and friends).

Jailbreaking isn't asinine.
ChristIsLORD Avatar
EvanLugh Avatar
what if i have upgraded to 5.1 via a developer account? Can i downgrade to 5.0.1 and still jailbreak?

Shouldn't you know this answer yourself, dev? :rolleyes:
WeegieMac Avatar
Works an absolute treat, brilliant work from pod2G.

We're lucky that every time Apple hire one of the jailbreak community's top men, another person somehow manages to step up. Great work.
JamesHP Avatar
Rejoice, for it is here! But not for A5 Devices.