Apple Financial Call Hilights
Hilights from Apple's Conference Call today:
- 771,000 CPUs shipped during the quarter (down from a year ago) with higher average revenue per system sold.
- iBooks and Powerbooks sold very well with portable products being 46% of all Mac sold. The desktop products down, especially the iMac.
- PowerMac G4 sales are soft, but G5 response has been strong.
- 304,000 iPods (Record Breaking Quarter)
- 6,500,000 songs sold in iTunes Music Store.
- 50% of customers buying Mac systems at Apple Stores did not currently own a Mac
Based on Q/A session:
- In this first quarter of the iTunes Music Store, they've come close to breaking even, and sold 6,500,000 songs thusfar.
- Would not give the breakdown of iTunes music earnings due to competitive reasons.
- Would not specify the breakdown of 12", 15", 17" PowerBooks for competitive reasons.
- PowerMac G5 shipping still expected to begin in August.
- Windows iTunes still on track for release by end-of-year
(For more in-depth details, MacMinute and MacCentral have further breakdowns of product numbers.)
Apple has canceled all plans to release an autonomous, electric vehicle, reports Bloomberg. Apple has been working on an Apple Car for more than a decade and invested millions of dollars into development before deciding it was not a viable project. Apple's Chief Operating Officer Jeff Williams today told approximately 2,000 employees working on the Apple Car that the project was canceled,...
iOS 18 will be compatible with the iPhone XR, and thereby also the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models with the same A12 Bionic chip, according to a post on X today from a private account with a proven track record of sharing build numbers for upcoming iOS updates. The post was spotted by MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris, and it has since been deleted. However, this was likely because the...
After more than a year since announcing the feature, Google Maps is finally rolling out glanceable directions on Android and iOS (via Android Police). The feature allows users to view turn-by-turn directions and a live ETA directly from their device's lock screen – information that was previously only visible when a phone was unlocked. Glanceable directions also work on the app's route...
iPadOS 18 will drop support for iPad models equipped with the A10X Fusion chip, according to a post on X today from a private account with a proven track record of sharing build numbers for upcoming iOS and iPadOS updates. This means that iPadOS 18 would not be compatible with the first-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro or the second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro models released in 2017. It...
In a press release last month, Apple confirmed that iOS 17.4 will be released in March, and the update includes several new features and changes for the iPhone. Key new features in iOS 17.4 include major App Store changes in the EU, Apple Podcasts transcripts, and an iMessage security upgrade. The update also adds new emoji and includes preparations for the launch of next-generation CarPlay...
The existing 15-inch MacBook Air arrived in June 2023, which is not that long ago in terms of Mac update cycles. However, Apple released the current 13-inch MacBook Air back in June 2022. It is now the oldest Mac in Apple's current crop, having not been updated in 600 days. But rumors suggest that is unlikely to be the case for much longer. According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple has...