eBay: Quicksilver Server?
An item on eBay surfaced... which claims to be a Macintosh G4 Quicksilver 2002 Server Logic Board
This board was used briefly in a test system. It was used less than 12 hours.
* 800 MHz or 933 MHz PowerPC G4 processor; or dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processors
* Four (4) 64-bit PCI Slots
* Four (4) DDR RAM slots (yes, DDR!)
* Velocity Engine vector processing unit
* Full 128-bit internal memory data paths
* Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations
* Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams
* 256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed
* 2 MB DDR SDRAM L3 cache per processor, with up to 4 GB per second throughput (933 MHz and dual 1 GHz systems)
* 133 MHz system bus supporting over 1 GBps data throughput
Not sure what it is... as it doesn't look like the current Quicksilver motherboard.
* In the photo, it appears "reversed" with the PCI slots on the "wrong" side.
* It contains the same Airport Card slot as current Quicksilvers
* does appear to have 4 DDR Ram slots. Current Quicksilvers only have 3 ram slots.
well I now know what it is (the DDR MB mentioned in the main www.xlr8yourmac.com news page today) - but I can't mention the specifics...
Prototype apple motherboards are red - so that should be one clue.
I suspect once it's seen by the mothership that the auction will be closed.
Let's just say the next G4s are going to be interesting ;-)
Update: Auction Pulled!
Related Articles: Rackmount Server rumors Resurface