chase


'chase' Articles

Chase Launches 'Chase Pay' Payments Service to Compete with Apple Pay

JPMorgan Chase & Co today announced plans to launch its own payments service to compete with Apple Pay, reports Re/code. The news comes courtesy of Chase CEO of Consumer and Community Banking, Gordon Smith, who announced "Chase Pay" at the Money20/20 payments conference in Las Vegas. Chase Pay will work via QR code instead of over NFC, allowing customers to make purchases with their smartphones by showing a QR code to a cashier. If that sounds a lot like the MCX Consortium's upcoming CurrentC platform, it's because Chase is partnering up with MCX for its payments service. The MCX Consortium, which promotes the QR-based CurrentC app and payments service, consists of collection of merchants like Walmart, Target, Sunoco, Kohl's, Best Buy, Rite Aid, CVS, Lowe's, Sears, Shell, Michaels, 7-Eleven, and more. Once available, CurrentC will be available as a payment option in all of these retail locations, as will Chase Pay.In some of these stores, customers will be able to pay by showing a QR code within the Chase Pay app. In others, Chase customers will have to use Chase Pay inside MCX's own CurrentC app. It's not clear which of the MCX member retailers will support which method.CurrentC has been in development for multiple years, giving Apple Pay an edge with its earlier release timeline. While most MCX members were originally subjected to an exclusivity agreement, that has since expired, leading several MCX Consortium members to offer support for Apple Pay. Chase itself also supports Apple Pay, allowing Chase credit cards and debit cards to be used with Apple's payments

Chase: Over 1 Million Wallets Provisioned on Apple Pay

During its investor call today, Chase announced (via AppleInsider) that over 1 million customers have provisioned their credit and / or debit cards for use with Apple Pay. Additionally, the company provided a look at the demographics of its Apple Pay users. Eileen Sierra, CEO of Chase Card Services, said that its customers who use Apple Pay tend to be young and have higher incomes, with 69 percent of their Chase card Apple Pay transactions credit based. Sierra also revealed that the financial company has seen "good growth" in the number of its customers provisioning their cards on Apple Pay. Those customers have been using their Chase cards through Apple Pay at the top five merchants 58 percent of the time, with all remaining merchants making up the remaining 42 percent. While Apple hasn't provided adoption details on Apple Pay, CEO Tim Cook did announce in January that Apple Pay accounted for two of every three contactless dollars spent on American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Bank of America announced in January that nearly 800,000 of its customers were using Apple Pay, and point-of-sale suppliers have seen a massive increase in interest following Apple Pay's launch last October. Although Apple Pay is having early success in the United States, it has yet to expand past its borders. Reports indicate Apple is in talks with Canadian partners to launch Apple Pay in that country as soon as March, while Visa today announced it would launch tokenization in Europe in mid-April, paving the way for Apple Pay to expand into the