Snapchat Debuts New Dual Camera Feature on iPhone

Snap today announced the launch of a new Dual Camera feature, which is designed to allow Snapchat users to record or capture photos using the front and back iPhone cameras at the same time.

snapchat dual camera view 1
The Dual Camera option can be accessed from the camera toolbar, and it is available for Snaps, Stories, and Spotlight videos. Snap says that it is a way for Snapchat users to "capture exciting moments while being part of the memory."

There are four layouts available, including vertical, horizontal, cutout and picture-in-picture. With the first two options, the view is split either vertically or horizontally, but with picture-in-picture, a circular front-facing camera view is overlaid on top of the back camera view. For the cutout view, Snapchat takes a cutout from the front-facing camera and overlays it on the back camera view.

Dual Camera is available to all iOS users as of today. Snapchat can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

SwiftArtery Avatar
Possibly because of BeReal?
macduke Avatar
This seems like an actual good use case. I expect TikTok will copy this functionality within the month.
vercordio Avatar

Possibly because of BeReal?
Kind of strange that wasn’t mentioned at all in the article.
Mug_narwhal.0m Avatar
Video mode on iPhone should have the function to switch cameras while recording.
TSE Avatar
I had Snapchat for less than a day.

I was a freshman in university. A girl I was hooking up with told me to download it so I did even though I had no idea what it was. The first message I ever got was in my small morning German class with about 10 students in it. I was in the front of the class, and unexpectedly to me, a fullscreen nude shot of this girl appears on my screen from opening this message. I was holding the phone in such a way that everyone behind me saw.

I quickly closed it, became red with embarassment, and uninstalled Snapchat to never use it again.

True story.
robgreene Avatar

Possibly because of BeReal?
100%. That app is all the rage right now in Snap's target demographic.