MacRumors 2020 Blood Drive
MacRumors is pleased to announce our Eleventh Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, throughout the month of May 2020. Our goal is to save lives by increasing the number of life-saving donations of blood, platelets, and plasma. While most blood drives are specific to a geographic location, our blood drive is online and worldwide.
Over the past 10 years, MacRumors Blood Drives have recorded donations of 699 units of blood, platelets, and plasma, and celebrated new signups for the organ donor and bone marrow registries. We've heard from people whose lives were saved by these donations, including lives saved by complete strangers.
Donating during the coronavirus pandemic
Circumstances are different this year due to the worldwide pandemic, but the need for blood continues.
To donate, you will likely need to go to a nearby blood donation center because blood donation events (such as community bloodmobile visits) have been canceled. Be assured that donation centers have taken extra precautions to protect donors, including keeping donors separated from each other and doing extra screening.
If you acquired COVID-19 and have fully recovered, you may be eligible to donate plasma for the convalescent plasma trials underway at major blood collection centers. Researchers hope to learn if your plasma contains COVID-19 antibodies that can help seriously ill COVID-19 patients recover.
How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive - during May 2020
If you are an eligible donor, schedule a blood, platelet, or plasma donation (see FAQ), at any donation center near you. Then post in the MacRumors 2020 Blood Drive! thread to tell us about it.
Or tell us if you register as an organ donor and/or register for the bone marrow registry (see FAQ). You'll be put on our Honor Roll.
- If you aren't eligible to donate for reasons of age, health, a recent donation, or because you are deferred as a donor, please encourage someone else to make a donation, and let us know. If they donate, you'll both be put on our Honor Roll. See our Blood donor eligibility thread for news about the deferral policies for gay men.
- Share our message with friends, relatives, and followers. Thank the people who post in the MacRumors 2020 Blood Drive! thread.
How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive - from June 2020 to April 2021
In between the MacRumors Blood Drives each May, record your donations on our Team MacRumors page:
- Go to our team page and click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD. (Bookmark the page for the future.)
- Fill in your MacRumors username as your first name. Fill in @ macrumors as your last name.
- In the comments field, tell us what type of donation and how many units, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.
- The email address and zip code fields don't matter. MacRumors won't use that information.
- We'll tally your donations and count them for the MacRumors Blood Drive next May.
We look forward to another successful MacRumors Blood Drive. Thank you to our many donors over the last 10 years!
Top Rated Comments
As a gay person, I agree with the stance of this article. Readers, please don't misunderstand: I do not oppose the MacRumors Blood Drive. But I do urge MSM to consider their philosophical and ethical compasses on their decision to partake in donating blood with this system.
Our annual Blood Drive has ended. We thank the many donors in our community and we offer a special salute to the donors who stepped up to help us publicize the critical need for these acts of charity. See this year's Blood Drive Honor Roll.
If you are a regular donor, please continue the habit. If you are an eligible donor who hasn't donated before, consider making your first donation to save some lives. If you aren't eligible to donate, please support and encourage those who can. You are welcome to read and share our Blood and Platelet Donation ('https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201729417-Blood-and-Platelet-Donation') and Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation ('https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201771053-Organ-Tissue-and-Bone-Marrow-Donation') Wiki pages.
This year's Blood Drive participants donated 128 units of blood, platelets, and plasma, despite the difficulty of getting donation appointments during the pandemic. Since we began holding the annual MacRumors Blood Drive, we've recorded donations of 827 units of blood, platelets, and plasma. We've posted a full tally in the Blood Drive! thread.
Record your donations from June 2020 to April 2021
Every time you donate from now until next year's MacRumors Blood Drive, record your donation with Team MacRumors!
* Bookmark the 2021 Team Page ('https://sleevesup.redcrossblood.org/campaign/macrumors-blood-drive-2020-2021/'), if you didn't already.
* Go to the 2021 Team Page ('https://sleevesup.redcrossblood.org/campaign/macrumors-blood-drive-2020-2021/').
* Click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD.
* Fill in your MacRumors username as your first name and @ macrumors as your last name.
* In the Comments field, tell us what type of donation and how many units, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.
* The email address and zip code fields don't matter. MacRumors won't use that information.
Your blood, platelet, and plasma donations from now until April 2021 will be tallied for inclusion in the next MacRumors Blood Drive, in May 2021. Thanks!
Next week is National Blood Donor Week in Canada, and much of the world. World Donor Day is on 14 June 2020,
now this month I have made it there and made my contribution
stay safe everyone