Third Report Says Apple's AirPower Charging Mat Will Launch in March

Apple's new AirPower inductive charging mat will be released by the end of March, according to Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

airpower charging mat
The report, citing industry sources, claims the AirPower will have a maximum charging performance of up to 29 watts, compared to 7.5 watts for single-device wireless charging pads like the Belkin Boost Up and the Mophie Wireless Charging Base for the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Apple said the AirPower will be released in 2018, but it hasn't provided an exact release date or pricing. Apple blogs Mac Otakara and The Apple Post also reported that the charging mat will be released in March, which is a common month for Apple to introduce new products, including a new 9.7-inch iPad last year.

AirPower is an oval-shaped accessory that can inductively charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and Apple Watch Series 3 models. It will also be able to charge AirPods when they are placed in a new inductive charging case set to launch alongside AirPower.

The mat's ability to charge multiple devices will be achieved with a propriety technology developed by Apple. Apple said it will work to have its technology become part of the universal Qi standard supported by the latest iPhones.

It's still unclear if Apple will announce the AirPower's availability at a March event alongside other new products, via press release, or quietly with an update to its online store. If there is an event planned, Apple will likely send invitations to the media by Thursday at the absolute latest.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

WilliamG Avatar
The price can’t really be $199, can it? I mean...really?
barkomatic Avatar
I can't believe we are so starved for cool new products that there is excitement over a charging mat.
PastaPrimav Avatar
K, well, it's March. Where is it?
44267547 Avatar
If the price point is around $200, I can’t justify the price point for a wireless charger for an iPhone X or 8 unless someone has the Series 3 Apple and the wireless Airpod charging battery case . That’s honestly to high for a wireless charging unit.
raqball Avatar
You really think people who have a iPhone X and a new Apple watch care about money or the difference between 100 and 200 dollars?

I have an X and an AW and there is no way I'd pay $200 for a charging pad.. I am sure some will but my guess is there won't be many buyers at that price.
BigMcGuire Avatar

I do think they care. Just because someone has an iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 doesn’t mean they’re willing to spend $200 on a charging mat. Consumers are not going to find that price point attractive no matter how you spin this. Are there those who will purchase this? Yes. But there are other alternatives to charge your iPhone X for cheaper on the market if someone wanted it.
Yep yep, I have the AW 3 and an iPhone 8+.

I have 2 $10 wireless chargers (one a stand) on Amazon. I recently <cringed> and bought another Apple Watch charging cable for my office so my watch can be charged at work and home if I so want. Wireless charger for phone at home and work.

Total paid: ~$10 + ~$10 + $29 = $49 give or take a few bucks for tax.

No way in hell I'd pay $150 or $200 for this especially now.