Screen Shot 3Barclays has become the first bank in the U.K. to announce Siri support for its mobile banking app, enabling account holders to make payments to anyone in their iPhone contacts list completely handsfree using the virtual assistant.

Following the update, customers will be able to make payments by saying, for instance, "Hey Siri, pay Anna £15 with Barclays", without having to open the app. Payments are authenticated using Touch ID and the feature can be used to pay existing payees or mobile contacts.

Barclays says the new Siri integration with its mobile app "will enable customers to send money virtually hands free, and will make secure banking easier, faster and simpler for all customers, including those with additional needs."

Customers need to allow Siri payments in the app to start making payments, via the Siri "What's New" screen or by visiting "Manage payments" under the More menu. Payment limits apply to single and daily payments limits, and can only be made in pounds.

Kebabselector Avatar
Wait, you changed financial institutions - after 30+ years of doing business - for Apple Pay?o_O:confused: It's like those people who say they won't buy a car that doesn't have CarPlay. I don't get how a consumer tech company selling commodity products can have that much influence in someone's life? To be fair, there's a lot I don't get.
I closed down 2 accounts with Barclays (with accounts going back 25+ years) and switched to Santander due to lack of Apple Pay (at the time).
69Mustang Avatar
Barclays, like any other bank, don't do you any favours I can tell you that much.
Also, switching banks is so simple and literally seamless these days. Plus they do all the work required to change over.
Apple Pay has revolutionised my wallet in that a simply don't carry one around anymore, there is less paranoia security wise and the convenience speaks for itself.
Consumer tech companies have had a massive impact not just on my life but the world so without wishing to sound rude I think your remark there is a little odd.
Doesn't sound rude at all. I just find it odd that someone would make a decision regarding financial institutions based on the availability of a feature of a cell phone. That doesn't mean that it is odd, just means I find it odd. And you're right, consumer tech has had a profound impact on our lives. That particular tech wouldn't have that much influence on my life, but that's me.
[doublepost=1503329974][/doublepost]
To each his own. I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Just odd to me.
tpham5919 Avatar
[doublepost=1503329974][/doublepost]
Me neither. I don't see myself completely rely on on tech from a single system in such a way. Too much risk.
Zirel Avatar
And this is the seldomly cited advantage Siri has over Google: interfacing with Apps.

Any App on the AppStore can interact with Siri through standard API’s.

Sure Google has partnerships, Apple goes a mile longer, and third parties don’t need to negotiate with Apple for the privilege of being in the #1 digital assistant in the US.
Zxxv Avatar
What can go wrong :D:rolleyes: "hey siri...." :eek:
base242 Avatar
I was a Barclays customer for over thirty years but went elsewhere due to their reluctance in adopting Apple Pay when it was released.
It's good to see them getting their act together on the tech front.