ESPN has rebranded its ScoreCenter app as ESPN SportsCenter, bringing a visual redesign, a new favorites tab for keeping track of designated teams, and a "Clubhouses" feature that acts as central hub for content from various sports leagues. The redesigned app also includes an inbox for personalized sports content, a search function, and enhanced game pages with one-tap access to GameCast live scoring information.

espnsportscenter

What's New in Version 4.0.0
- ScoreCenter is now SportsCenter
- Speed: Faster than Calvin Johnson going deep
- Favorites: Your team news and scores in an instant
- Clubhouses: Content central for every team and league under the sun
- ESPN Now: Your one-stop-shop for real-time scores and social updates
- Inbox: A dedicated home for personalized content from news to alerts to scores
- Enhanced Game Pages: New native sharing and one-click GameCast access
- Search: Easily navigate to teams, leagues, and sports to view content or add to favorites

The last major update to ESPN's popularlive scoring app came in December 2012, optimizing it for the iPhone 5 and offering live scoring alerts. ESPN SportsCenter is a free app for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Tag: ESPN

IvanX Avatar
It's still pathetic that they do not allow addition of favourites without having to register or log in with Facebook. Yahoo Sports allows this, so no reason to go back to ESPN.
boshii Avatar
What I have a problem with is providing my email address to a company that is likely to spam me to no end for a feature that other apps are able to provide without the need for creating an account. Hell, even ESPN didn't require it until a year or two ago. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and makes be wonder if they should be trusted. That seed of doubt then causes me to wonder why they need my location.

And look, the Yahoo Sports app offers the same functionality without some log in. I've got no problem providing that app with my location, because I know that they're using it to provide a real benefit to me, not just because some advertising exec out there thinks having my location and email address is something he can sell.

I've had an ESPN account for years and have never been spammed with anything. If you happen to get an email from them, just unsubscribe or mark it as junk.

They ask for your location when you're picking favorite teams so they can show you the teams closest to you since majority of people like their home teams.

Having the account makes it easier for me because I don't have to redo my settings on my idevices since all my favorites and settings are tied to my account.
nburwell Avatar
While I use the Yahoo sports app, I download this on a whim yesterday. While I prefer the UI over Yahoo, I did not get one single push notification last night when I was watching the Blackhawks game. The Yahoo app sent notifications perfectly fine, but nothing from ESPN. I checked and double checked the settings to make sure push notifications were turned on (they were). I have since deleted the app. I'll stick with Yahoo for now.
C DM Avatar
The irony of being "conflicted" over using some simple essentially irrelevant login (that really only requires a made up username, password, and really any junky email) for a well known service provider, and yet posting about it on a more obscure and even recently hacked site--due to various reasons, including some poor security practices--that requires the same kind of information (that was clearly provided by the posters who are posting about it all) in order to be able to post anything.
parseckadet Avatar
I have favorites without logging in with Facebook. Unless you're saying you are opposed to registering for an ESPN account ... In which case, why would you be? How would they track who your favorite teams are if you switch to a different device?

parseckadet Avatar
I see they're still continuing the ridiculous policy of requiring you to create an account for basic functionality such as remembering favorite teams and score updates, neither of which required an account a couple of years ago. And now they want my location too? For what purpose? ESPN has been treating it's viewers/users as nothing more than dollar signs for as long as I can remember, and I'm tired of it.