Pioneer Drops AirPlay Speaker Prices, Now Competitive with Bluetooth Models

pioneerAs noted by Macworld, Pioneer has lowered the prices on several of its AirPlay speakers, which have, historically, been offered at a much higher pricing tier than Bluetooth speakers.

The company recently dropped the price of its XW-SMA1 speaker from $299 to $149, while the prices of the XW-SMA3 and XW-SMA4 have similarly been cut in half from $399 to $199. (These changes aren't yet reflected on Pioneer's website, where the latter two speakers are still listed at $399.)

Macworld spoke to a Pioneer representative, who said that the company is aiming to make its AirPlay speakers price competitive with its Bluetooth models, with the hope that lower prices will help consumers to appreciate AirPlay's advantages.

While Bluetooth has been a more affordable option for consumers, AirPlay has a distinct edge, offering a much longer range with the option of utilizing multiple speakers for a complete home audio experience.

Traditionally, AirPlay speakers have been priced higher than Bluetooth speakers due to the cost of licensing the technology from Apple. It is unclear if Pioneer is eating the additional cost or if Apple has made AirPlay licensing more affordable, but with Pioneer lowering the price of its AirPlay speakers, it is likely that other manufacturers may have to follow suit in order to continue to offer competitive pricing.

Tag: Pioneer

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

840quadra Avatar
Great news, however I feel the problem is still the overall cost to entry for companies that want to utilize Airplay, or cable interfaces for iOS devices. I appreciate Apple wanting control, however the cost per unit is going to make Airplay more rare than it could be!
iSayuSay Avatar
Oh .. the good ol' Pioneer. How about go back and make a 70" Kuro plasma with AirDisplay? :D

I really hate saw the old Kuro went off the grid, and now Panasonic is raising the white flag too. I wish all HDTV is plasma :(
iSayuSay Avatar
Unless I can Air Play my FLAC files I don't care how cheap it is

Image (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/Assets/Images/Products/MA6600/XL_MA6600_D.jpg)

Ahh the real Mcintosh ;)
Now that's real audio is all about
lk400 Avatar
Bluetooth is a bad tech for sound. I have never been able to get good quality sound through bluetooth - I am not an expert, so maybe I am doing something wrong, but I always thought the bandwidth wasnt there to support the full spectrum. This, to me, was always the biggest benefit of airplay.
AppleMark Avatar

Indeed. However Pioneer lost money on every Kuro it sold, even at the premium price point it deserved. That is why it stopped making TV's, the 'KURO' team was sold, or moved to Panansonic and the fruits of their work were seen in last years plasma's. I will keep my 60" KRP600A until it dies [or Apple hire / buy the KURO team and make a 70" Plasma.., which out performs it ;)].

For people who play video games on their TV, LCD / LED displays are the only option. Or have plasma screens gotten better recently?

Plasma was always better for gamers. The early LCD's (and in some of the new ones I have seen) suffered from extremely poor motion blurring etc. I have had Panasonic Plasma in my Lounge since 2001 and a Pioneer in a dedicated room since 2009. Both were used with PS2 / PS3 respectively.
Jefferyd32 Avatar
Airplay is great! I use it to stream music throughout my entire house. Although I would suggest using multiple airport expresses instead or specific speakers with built in airplay. Then you can connect any speaker with an aux input. I'm glad to see prices dropping though.