Refreshed internals, lower price point possible.
Apple Posts iPad Mini Intro, TV Ad, and Keynote Video
If all that we had done was take the original iPad and just reduce it, all that you would be aware of was everything that was just missing. There is inherent loss in just reducing a product in size.Apple has also posted a new television ad for the iPad mini that features colorful Smart Covers dancing around the screen. The ad is reminiscent of the 'Colors' iMac ad from 1999 that featured spinning iMacs set to the Rolling Stones song "She's A Rainbow".
What we did, was we went back to the very beginning and we took the time to design a product that was a concentration of, and not a reduction of, the original. We felt strongly that 7.9 inches was exactly the right display size, but it became clear that we had to reduce the width of the borders. So, you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand.
Apple has posted a video of the iPad mini media event on its website. The video is also available on the Apple Keynotes Podcast on the iTunes Store. [Podcast links: Keynotes, Keynotes in HD, Keynotes in 1080p HD]
Other iPad mini special event highlights:
- Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329
- Apple Announces Fourth-Generation iPad with Lightning Connector, New A6X Chip
- Apple Announces Lighter, Thinner iMac Models with Fusion Drive
- Apple Introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display
- Apple Introduces New Mac Mini With Faster Processors and Quad-Core Option
- First Impressions and Hands On with iPad Mini
- Hands On with Apple's New 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro
- Some Apple Retail Stores Offering 30-Day Window to Exchange iPads for New Model
- Apple's New 'Fusion Drive' Not a Typical Hybrid Drive
- iPad Mini Supports Siri, iPad 2 Still Doesn't
- Apple Devices to Support Many New International LTE Networks In Coming Months
- 21.5" iMac Has No User-Upgradable RAM; 27" Has Four Accessible RAM Slots
- Apple Announces Updated iBooks App With Continuous Scrolling
- Apple Updates iBooks Author with New Templates and Remote Update Feature