Pre-orders and previews begin April 10, launches April 24.
iOS 5.1 Now Available with Japanese Siri, Camera Enhancements, and More
Following Apple's announcement that iOS 5.1 would debut today, the software update is now available for existing iOS devices. Among the notable additions are Japanese language support for Siri, camera enhancements, and the ability to delete photos from users' Photo Streams.
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:Apple's battery issues under iOS 5 were well-documented, and it appears that the 5.1 release takes additional steps to address that issue, while the update also seems to address audio issues that had been plaguing a number of users.
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls