With the release of HomePod software version 16.3 in January 2023, Apple added a number of new features to its HomePod lineup, including the ability to set ambient sounds to alarms. This article explains how it's done.
The arrival of Apple's HomePod software version 16.3 adds a number of new features to new and existing HomePods that are well worth checking out.
The update activates temperature and humidity sensing for both the second-generation HomePod and the HomePod mini, adds the ability to set up recurring automations using Siri, and brings remastered ambient sounds that can be added to scenes, automations, and alarms.
Apple says the new ambient sounds have been remastered to sound more immersive, so it's worth giving them a listen. The available ambient sounds include Fireplace, Forest, Night, Ocean, Rain, Stream, and White Noise.
Let's look at how that how the ambient sounds work with alarms. Once you've made sure your HomePod software is up-to-date, you can set up an alarm on your HomePod to use one of the new, more immersive ambient sounds in the following way.
How to Use HomePod Ambient Sounds in Alarms
- In the Home app on your iPhone or iPad, tap the HomePod you would like to set up an alarm on.
- Scroll down to the "Alarms" section, then tap New.
- After you've entered an alarm time, tap Play Media.
- Select the Choose Media... option that appears, then tap Ambient Sounds and choose your sound.
- Tap Done to return to the "Add Alarm" menu, then tap Done again.
That's all there is to it. Your ambient alarm is now set up on the chosen HomePod and can be toggled on and off in the HomePod's accessory details menu at any time.