Using the Segments feature in the Apple Watch Workout app is a great way to track changes in exercise intensity over the course of a workout. It can also help you find out which activities in a mixed session push your body the most.
If your regular running route includes a hilly section, for example, using segments to indicate where it begins and/or ends lets you review how much time it takes to complete compared to the rest of your workout.
Or maybe you use your Apple Watch to track gym sessions that include various high-intensity strength training or mixed cardio exercises. Marking a new segment every time you move to another piece of equipment or perform a different exercise will give you a better idea of how effective each activity is at burning calories.
How to Mark a Segment During a Workout
- Launch the Workout app on your Apple Watch.
- Choose a workout type to track from the list, then go ahead and start your workout.
- To divide your workout into two segments, simply raise your wrist and double-tap on the screen. The time elapsed becomes Segment 1 of your workout, while the remaining time becomes Segment 2.
- To create a third segment in your workout, just double-tap on the screen again. Repeat this action as many times as you want.
How to View Segment Metrics on Your iPhone
- Launch the Activity app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Workouts tab.
- Select the workout in which you recorded segments.
- In the workout summary screen, locate the Segments section just above the heart rate graph, and tap the chevron alongside it to reveal your numbered segments with stats for duration and calories burned.