Apple today revealed an all-new HomeKit-centric app called "Home," which will make its debut in iOS 10 this fall. The app will act as a hub for a user's HomeKit-enabled devices, regardless of their manufacturer, letting users control everything from smart light bulbs to garage door openers from one app. HomeKit will be built into Control Center now as well, letting users tap through their smart home devices without unlocking their iPhone.

f1465842072

Support for HomeKit™ continues to expand globally with nearly 100 home automation products adopting HomeKit this year, bringing support for thermostats, lights, window shades, door locks, video cameras and more to the Home app. Later this year, leading home builders, including Brookfield Residential, KB Home, Lennar Homes and R&F Properties, will begin integrating many of these HomeKit devices into new homes.

Users can group accessories into "scenes," or control them individually, and each device will be able to react to Siri voice commands. Apple confirmed that each device can be controlled remotely or even set up for home automation on Apple TV, "and can respond with automatic triggers set by time of day, location or action."

Check out our iOS 10 WWDC keynote recap for more information on HomeKit, Messages, Apple Music, and more.

chrismail627 Avatar
While this app looks nice, I hate how it's preinstalled. Just another app I have to put in my "Misc." folder.

Edit: Well it looks like Apple will give the option to uninstall their apps, so hopefully it won't be an issue.
Mac Fly (film) Avatar
You can always switch to Android and tell us how it's so much better for you. And visit your favourite Android forums so they can hear your unique brand of negativity.
AcesHigh87 Avatar
So, can we delete pre-installed apps yet? If not this is just another app I hate to hide and have take up space. I love the idea but I don't have any smart home devices so it's as useless to me as the watch app.
Macwick Avatar
I couldnt tell but I hope, really hope there is a geo feature in the home app that only opens the garage when I'm in the area AND my phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth, then I will activate said feature.
Drives past house on way to store.
Garage door opens.
ayale99 Avatar
I saw the garage door open in the HomeKit demo video. Does that mean that Chamberlain will update they're MyQ garage door openers to work with HomeKit now...as promised over a year ago?
chrismail627 Avatar
Actually I do have an Android phone. It's better in some ways and worse in other.

This app is useless for the majority of people who don't own a Home Kit device. It looks great but many don't need it. You don't think it would be better for it to be an optional download?