Is the iPod Classic Done? 10 Years of iPod

142436 ipod classic 02

Guardian posts a retrospective piece about the original iPod and points out that the Classic iPod design has not been updated since late 2009.

The iPod Classic, as the famous scroll-wheel design is now known, hasn't been updated now since September 2009, with a modest capacity jump from 120GB to 160GB. On the Apple Online Store, shipping times have slipped from 24 hours to 1-3 days. Across the US, several major retailers have reported short supplies, leading to speculation the device may soon be discontinued. It didn't even warrant a mention at Apple's annual Developers Conference in 2010. "The iPod's essentially finished, give or take," says Dr Alice Enders, a former senior economist at the World Trade Organisation who now reports on global music markets for media consultancy Enders Analysis.

The iPod was originally launched in 2001 and laid the groundwork for Apple's resurgence this past decade. The article gives a nice lookback at the iPod.

Reception to the original iPod launch was mixed. Our own forum responses are interesting to look back on, 10 years later.

Related Forum: iPod touch and iPod

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...
prime day series 9

The Best Early Amazon Prime Day Deals on Apple Watch

Thursday July 11, 2024 8:11 am PDT by
Amazon Prime Day is just a few days away, but you can already get all-time low prices on multiple Apple Watch models right now. As with all early deals, there is a chance that these Apple Watch discounts get even steeper when Prime Day officially kicks off on July 16, but for right now they're still great discounts on each model. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you...

malcolmffc Avatar
This old post is brilliant

"
I have no use for an Mp3 player.

My house has a CD player.
My car has a CD player.
My Mac has a CD player

I don't use headphones.

The iPod requires me to change my lifestyle to meet it's needs..."
joshyflac Avatar
Is it Worth it for Apple?

I just bought a used 160GB iPod Classic last week. Having my entire music library in my car at all times: Priceless.

I agree entirely. I did the same thing, and can't imagine going back without it. 160gb is big enough for my mp3 collection, however, it is not nearly big enough for my FLAC collection.

At the end of the day, is it worth it for Apple to be producing a piece of equipment like this anymore?

As most people go the more streaming route, I doubt that a 500gb / 1tb hard drive will be cheap enough for mass appeal, and I realy don't think there are that many people like us anymore!

I have my iPod line-out connected to my Fiio E17 USB for headphone amplification, and it is a pretty high-fidelity mobile solution. I love it, but I don't think I'm really helping Apple's bottom line all that much
laserbeam273 Avatar
Time to buy an ipod, leave it in the box, then sell it in 30 years for $10,000? Try get Jobs to sign it first! How about $100,000?

And the first ipod had firewire?!?!?! What is this! We've downgraded!
skip2 Avatar
LOL. The old thread is absolutely hilarious. Nothing, NOTHING has changed in 10 years. The stuff discussed on these forums today is exactly the same. Kinda makes you think if it's even worth reading as it's all the same anyway. :)

I personally like the "big" capacity of the classic but am not a fan of the UI. Although, I don't think the UI of the iPod Touch/iPhone is the best for a music only device either. Anyway, I'm glad I have the 160GB classic as it fits all my music right now and at least for a few years probably. I would like to see Apple revamp it completely and make it better and easier to use/more intuitive in every way and hooking it up with that 220GB HDD release a while ago instead of just killing it off and introducing a 128GB iPod Touch. I don't think this will happen though. :(
guzhogi Avatar
<< Plays "Taps" >>
jowie Avatar
lol... Comments are priceless:

I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!