New in OS X: Get MacRumors Push Notifications on your Mac

Resubscribe Now Close

Samsung Chosen to Supply 80 Percent of Apple's Future A-Series Chips for iOS Devices

Apple has reportedly chosen Samsung over Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) as the primary supplier for its future application processors in a deal worth billions, claims The Korea Times (Via G for Games) citing sources familiar with the deal.

tsmc_samsung_logo
Starting in 2016, Samsung reportedly will supply 80 percent of Apple's supply of 14 nm application processors with TSMC supplying the remaining 20 percent. The key factor that boosted Samsung was its recent partnership with GlobalFoundries, a relationship which will enable Samsung to produce sufficient supply of processors to meet Apple's demand.
"Apple has designated Samsung as the primary supplier of its next A-series chips powering iOS devices from 2016 as the alliance with GlobalFoundries (GF) enabled Samsung to cut off capacity risk," a source familiar with the deal said.
During its recent conference call, Samsung confirmed that it is producing sample 14 nm chips for an unidentified customer with plans to mass produce the chips in 2015 and 2016. This latest Korean Times report claims Samsung will begin building the processors early next year in its South Korean plant with plans to expand production to the company's Austin, Texas facility and GlobalFoundries' New York factory in the coming year.

Related Roundup: iPhone 6s
Tag: koreatimes.co.kr
Buyer's Guide: iPhone (Caution)


Top Rated Comments

(View all)

23 months ago
I guess TSMC didn't want to put their big boy pants on.
Rating: 37 Votes
23 months ago
Thinking about all those people who have written "I'll never buy anything made with Samsung parts again," I wonder what mobile devices they will buy now? (rhetorical)
Rating: 23 Votes
23 months ago

Sucks for people that swore to never buy a Samsung product again.

Anybody who says that is ignorant. Not only does Samsung make a lot more than just smartphones & tablets, they're also fundamentally a different company from Apple in that they're a manufacturer. Apple is primarily software & marketing.

Apple leans over to Samsung and whispers "Heard of GT?" <winks>

Oh dear lord. Do you have any idea how big Samsung is? Apple hasn't got the kind of leverage with Samsung that they had with a tiny little company like GT. There is most assuredly not the same kind of "you will take this deal and love it" dictation of terms. Samsung is more than big enough to say "Ha, piss off."
Rating: 19 Votes
23 months ago

No more Sandisk, Hynix, and Toshiba YAY


Who says? This is for the A9 SoC. Has nothing to do with RAM or the solid state storage suppliers.
Rating: 13 Votes
23 months ago
Sucks for people that swore to never buy a Samsung product again.
Rating: 11 Votes
23 months ago
LOL so many members here blast about never buying anything with samsung in it, well good luck with that hahahahaha
Rating: 9 Votes
23 months ago

Although not a shocker, I continue to be amazed that no one seems to be able to scale the way Samsung does. Therefore Apple continues to "sleep with the enemy."

I don't think we need to worry about Samsung stealing the chip design since that has not been a problem yet. However, it does provide significant income to Samsung that they will use to continue to copy Apples iPhone. Therefore, I wish there were legitimate alternatives in the SoC space.


I'm starting to think companies are no longer really "enemies" anymore. They all just operate in a careful balance of competitive spirit and a sort of necessary cooperation in some ways.

They all use a lot of the same technology, parts from many of the same vendors (Qualcomm for radio chipsets for instance). Samsung is probably more than happy to be able to make a few dollars from some iPhones sold, and Apple is happy to have multiple suppliers for their parts so that if one company decides to "take all their toys and go home" they don't lose out.

It all works in the end, everyone makes money and we all get decent products, most of the time. :)
Rating: 7 Votes
23 months ago

How's it go?

"Keep your friends close..."


I think a better one is, "it's just business."
Rating: 7 Votes
23 months ago
How's it go?

"Keep your friends close..."
Rating: 6 Votes
23 months ago

Samsung is building a $15B chip factory. That might have convinced Apple to swing their way.


While Apple builds a multi-billion dollar doughnut.
Rating: 6 Votes

[ Read All Comments ]