More modern look coming this fall.
iOS 5 Over-the-Air Update Video, Documents on iCloud, and Other Notes
InsanelyGreatMac posts the above video showing the new iOS 5 Beta 4 over the air (OTA) updating in action. As we noted the OTA update also saves bandwidth as it only sends changes rather than the entire OS image.
• @MuscleNerd reports that OTA update won't work on Jailbroken devices.
• We reported that iPhones must have 50% charge or be plugged into a power source to download the OTA update, but @johnheimkes reports this requirement is not enforced on the iPad which allowed the update to occur with only 12% charge.
• Settings app displays a badge when an over the air update is available.
• Apple has added a "Documents and Data" toggle for iCloud which allows you to turn on/off the ability for apps to save data and documents to the iCloud. There is also a way to chose whether these updates occur over 3G or only over Wi-Fi. This allows Apps to save their own data and user data to the iCloud so that it is available across devices, and backed up into the cloud.
• The OTA update downloads over Wi-Fi or 3G connections.