Apple Not Expecting Most Corporate Staff to Return to Offices Until June 2021

The majority of Apple employees likely won't be returning to work at Apple's Cupertino campuses before June 2021, Apple CEO Tim Cook said today at a town hall meeting, details of which were shared by Bloomberg.

appleparknovember
Cook said that while face-to-face collaboration is important, Apple's success amid the pandemic this year could potentially lead to the company being more flexible about remote work in the future. Still, Cook and Apple executives are eager for employees to return to Infinite Loop, Apple Park, and other offices worldwide.

"There's no replacement for face-to-face collaboration, but we have also learned a great deal about how we can get our work done outside of the office without sacrificing productivity or results," he told staff, according to people familiar with the comments. "All of these learnings are important. When we're on the other side of this pandemic, we will preserve everything that is great about Apple while incorporating the best of our transformations this year."

At the current time, Santa Clara County (where Apple's main campuses are located) has a stay at home order that requires companies to allow employees to work from home where applicable, and that will be in place through the end of the year. Cook in July said that he expected employees to return to work in early 2021, but the ongoing global health crisis has been evolving and Apple has had to modify its plans several times.

Other tech companies like Facebook and Google are also allowing employees to work from home until summer 2021, while some, like Twitter and Square, are allowing employees to work from home permanently. Many other smaller tech companies in the Bay Area have also gone entirely remote on a permanent basis due to the pandemic.

Cook also told employees that because of the challenges over the course of the last few months, many would get an additional paid holiday on January 4.

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...

4jasontv Avatar

At this point a lot of us have shifted to working from home and it’s working well. I can see this becoming the norm
I can't even work with pants on anymore.
ghostface147 Avatar
I’m one of those who prefers to be in the office. I’m too lazy to work from home.
bpeeps Avatar
Those who can and want to work from home should be allowed to. I had hoped the dependency on the office would have been less necessary once this is all over.
BGPL Avatar

I worked in management at a fortune 5 company for several years. WFH was great for me and many of my team members, I can honestly say I got more work done at home than at the office, some days by twofold. Having said that, we had some people that simple couldn't do it because of distractions, poor work ethic, etc. That company and others have saved millions on office space and overhead, so I think it is a plus in the long term. But getting the 20% of employees to do actual work at home was a major challenge. There's a second challenge, every other VP that came in wanted the traditional come to work model, they just couldn't wrap their head around empty desks at the office. They believed 80% of the work force was at home building model airplanes, and in reality, it's probably the opposite. No commute, no lunch breaks, no water cooler talk.
applicious84 Avatar
At least the building's pretty
macduke Avatar
I barely remember how to drive at this point. No way I’m going back and fortunately we aren’t. And only showering a few times per week has done wonders for my complexion. I wake up at the crack of 8:30 every day, roll over and grab my MacBook Pro and start my day. We don’t even use email any more, just Slack and assign tasks in Basecamp. Everybody knows what they need to do in a given day. No more wasting time, just “You, do this.” We work four days and have three day weekends now. I wear a t-shirt and basketball shorts every day. Remote working is one of the few bright spots to come out of this year. Not to mention pooping in private. I also don’t get sick anymore! Nor do I have to listen to coworkers stopping by my door to waste my time talking about nothing that I care about. It’s great!