Griffin Technology has announced that its BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for the 12-inch Retina MacBook, including the new Early 2016 model introduced earlier this week, will start shipping on Monday, April 25.

Griffin-USB-C-BreakSafe-Cable
BreakSafe is a magnetic breakaway power cable for USB-C laptops such as the 12-inch MacBook which, unlike the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, does not feature Apple's proprietary MagSafe technology first introduced in 2006.

The cable, originally announced at CES 2016, has a quick-release magnetic connector that plugs into the 12-inch MacBook's USB-C port and safely disconnects from the rest of the cable when under stress or strain, such as tripping over the power cord.

BreakSafe's magnetic connector is 12.8mm deep, while the USB-C cable is six feet (1.8m) long. The cable, compatible with USB Power Delivery and rated up to 60 watts, is for charging power only and does not support data and video.

BreakSafe can be ordered now for $39.99 on Griffin's website ahead of April 25 shipping.

Related Forum: MacBook

RebelScum Avatar
I wouldn't want a little tumor sticking out of my $1500 new Macbook. In my 7 years owning Macbooks I've never tripped on a cable. Is USB-C really that strong of a connector that the cable wouldn't pop out?
Ahhh, MacRumors logic. "It has never happened to me, therefore it will never happen to anybody."
Keniutek Avatar
Lucky you. MagSafe saved me more than a "few" times from my kids and dogs ;).
RightMACatU Avatar
The MB is turning into a German car with all the available accessories :D
I've already spent C$100 for the USB/Power/HDMI connector and that's it for me.
SBlue1 Avatar
This is what Apple should have included in first place. Adding 40 Bucks on top of the already expensive Mac is too much. :(
goobot Avatar
What do you mean little Tumor? It's a wire that breaks in two when tugged on. The end doesn't stay in your computer.
manu chao Avatar
The MagSafe connector is also simply a nicer connector to plug in and unplug. Sometimes one can plug it in without even touching the cable (by putting the laptop close enough to the connector such that it plugs itself in).

More often than tripping over the cable, I picked up my laptop and instead of yanking out the cable in a way that might damage the cable at the MagSafe connector end, it disconnected gracefully.