Apple Confirms iCloud Web Apps for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone

There has been some debate over whether Apple will be providing web app functionality for iCloud services such as Mail once the transition from MobileMe is complete, and while we had previously noted that it appeared that at least some of the web functionality was likely to make the transition, Apple has posted a new transition guide (via TechCrunch) confirming that the web apps will continue to exist with iCloud.

Will I be able to access iCloud services on the web?

Yes. Web access to iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Find My iPhone will be available at icloud.com this fall.

Apple also confirms that the existing iWeb publishing, Gallery, and iDisk services from MobileMe will not be making the transition to iCloud. Some of these functionalities will, however, be replaced and/or enhanced with the already-announced photo and cloud services in iCloud.

icloud
All existing MobileMe services will continue to be available through June 30, 2012, although some such as syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will become unavailable if users transfer their existing MobileMe accounts to iCloud before that deadline. Other MobileMe services not transitioning to iCloud such as iWeb publishing, Gallery, and iDisk will continue to be available until June 30, 2012 regardless of whether users maintain their existing MobileMe accounts or transition them to iCloud.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

roland.g Avatar
I can live without the iWeb publishing though I do use it sometimes for blogs about my kids.

And iDisk is another I can live without but bummer.

The real tragedy is Galleries. Their interface is much better than Flickr, Picassa, etc. and I want something totally integrated. Really a shame there. Photo Stream is NOT the same thing by any stretch.

I was happy paying $99 a year. And for me I could care less about 90%+ of the iCloud features. Downloading/Streaming music I didn't think to sync. So what. Photo stream. Really, so what. Docs in the cloud. Whatever. Of course iCloud is free, it is almost worthless compared to MobileMe.

WHY NOT offer iCloud tiered. iCloud as it is for free. iCloud with iWeb hosting and Galleries and an extra 5GB of storage for the original $99 price point or even $49. Why remove what we use. It could even be an in-app upgrade. Apple gets $70 and Apple gets $29.
harleyb Avatar
Huge shame that keychain syncing is being discontinued. Are there any third-party solutions to bridge the gap?
andiwm2003 Avatar
I'm surprised at some of the comments here, I thought Apple made it pretty clear iCloud was less about 'cloud storage' and more about 'cloud syncing'

The point if iCloud is to ensure all your devices, including iOS, Mac and PC devices are all perfectly in sync. All of the time. Not provide online storage so you can access data from your devices anywhere.

Because of this, you won't need cloud storage because all your content will be available on your devices.

There is no need for the Gallery feature because your photos will already be available on your devices. Why view them over the net when it's quicker and easier to view them directly from your device?

Personally, I think this is the safer, better way of approaching 'cloud' services.

i'm surprised of this comment. you obviously haven't used MobileMe and .Mac before that and have features taken away from the service after Apple promised for years they will improve and develop them. There are a million people out there that have an established setup using services that get now cancelled.
OllyW Avatar
I though Keychain syncing was moving over to iCloud but it looks like I'm wrong. That's a shame..
jaw04005 Avatar
"Syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences will not be part of iCloud."

What the hell? Seriously? I use those features constantly.
roland.g Avatar

I don't care if my photos are available on my devices. I want to share photos and videos with friends and family on the web, wherever they are, and regardless on platform on a nicely designed black ad-free interface with great slideshows and animations. And they built the sharing right into iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie. They even have an iOS app for Gallery and iDisk.