As noted by TUAW, HP this week released a series of firmware updates bringing AirPrint compatibility to eight more printers, offering users of iOS devices running iOS 4.2 or later the ability to wirelessly print directly from their devices.
By downloading and installing a firmware update from HP, the following printer models will gain full support for AirPrint functions:
- HP LaserJet P1102w Printer
- HP LaserJet P1606dn Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1214nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1216nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw MFP
Firmware updates are available through HP's support site.
Apple had initially intended AirPrint to debut late last year as part of iOS 4.2 with support for a wide variety of printers, including the ability to print to printers shared via users' computers. Apple dramatically scaled back the functionality before release, however, and ultimately limited AirPrint compatibility to a handful of compatible printers from HP.