Report Claims Tablet is 'iPhone on Steroids', Runs on iPhone OS Kernel
Boy Genius Report reveals that it has received information from a source regarding Apple's much-rumored tablet, noting that it is basically an "iPhone on steroids" and offering a few details about the device.
- The tablet's multi-touch gestures are "out of control."
- It's powered by an incredibly fast ARM CPU
- It runs on the iPhone kernel.
- The internal model number is K48AP.
- There hasn't been an updated iPhone OS build because there's too much tablet-related code/references in the OS and Apple obviously didn't want that to leak. Oops.
- The tablet is basically an "iPhone on steroids."
The report is not the first to refer to Apple's tablet as carrying an internal model number of K48AP, as a Reddit user previously made the same claim, along with an assertion that the next-generation iPhone will carry internal model number N90AP. (The iPhone 3GS carries an internal model number of N88AP.) It is unknown whether the two sources are independent.
Boy Genius Report has had a mixed track record, incorrectly reporting in recent months that Apple and AT&T were looking to launch an 8 GB iPhone 3GS before Christmas and publishing a faked Apple Black Friday sale announcement. The site did, however, correctly offer information on iPhone app organization and Twitter/Facebook sharing in iTunes 9, although it later published faked iTunes 9 screenshots.