Apple Approves Game With iOS 7 Controller Support

Apple has begun approving games that support iOS 7 game controllers, according to our sister site TouchArcade. AVP: Evolution [Direct Link], a game designed for the iPhone and the iPad, was today updated with support for iOS 7, 64-bit processors, iOS 7 Game Controllers.

avpevolution
I really hate that we're reduced to this level of Apple tea leaf reading, but, here we are. If you're among the boatload of our readers who are totally excited for iOS 7 game controllers, here's some good evidence that they might be coming sooner rather than later: Apple is now approving game updates that specifically support controllers. AVP: Evolution is the first one that has popped up on our radar.
Apple first introduced its MFi "Made for iPhone" iOS 7 API during June's Worldwide Developers Conference, suggesting that the company was allowing third-party manufacturers to develop dedicated iOS gaming peripherals. News soon followed that Apple was working with Logitech and MOGA to produce controllers, and a loose fall launch date was indicated.

While it is unclear exactly when MFi controllers might hit the market, the imminent public debut of iOS 7 and support for the API suggest a release could come at any time, possibly at Apple's rumored iPad-centric fall event.

iOS 7 will officially launch on Wednesday, September 18 for the iPhone 4 and later, the iPad 2 and later, the iPad mini, and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Top Rated Comments

(View all)
Avatar
17 months ago
Controller? That means the Infinity Blade guys are gonna have to actually make a game..

;) ;) I kid, I kid
Rating: 10 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago
Don't count on the iControlPad2 for support, we can't even get the developer to actually spend the Kickstarter money on what it's supposed to be for. :rolleyes:

ICP2 Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller)
Rating: 3 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago
Looks like we're going to see some "file sync" or "flashlight" apps that have game controller support... if you know what I mean. Hint: some of these controllers might resemble Nintendo controllers.
Rating: 2 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago

You can't create full console experience at $10 game budget.


Not so fast.. if you sell 5-10x as many games, you can. It's an obvious oversimplification I've made, but you're forgetting the console video game development and distribution model. Something like 10% of all game titles pay for the development of the other 90% of terrible, terrible games.

You better believe that console game studios would give half their kingdom to have the unit sales, ZERO piracy and ZERO used market drain of Rovio's Angry Birds.
Rating: 2 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago
Give me Modern Combat with controller support Gameloft.
Rating: 1 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago
I think controller is the reason why we have 64 bit architecture, we will see games with console quality!! new apple tv + iPhone 5s + new Controller = Console games!!
Rating: 1 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago
This is one of the most exciting aspects coming with iOS7, so I was really surprised not to see any game controllers on stage last week, it seemed like such an obvious omission. Can't wait to see these controllers hit the market and games start to support them.
Rating: 1 Votes
Avatar
17 months ago

This is one of the most exciting aspects coming with iOS7, so I was really surprised not to see any game controllers on stage last week, it seemed like such an obvious omission. Can't wait to see these controllers hit the market and games start to support them.


I think they're probably saving it for October event... seeing as iPhone event was kept short, the October could possibly be a big event
Rating: 1 Votes
[ Read All Comments ]