Media event set for September 9, launch likely ~10 days later.
Early Verizon iPhone Reviews: Better Reception, Slower Data
Photo from Macworld
On the evening before the launch of the Verizon iPhone, the embargo for early review units has been lifted. This early set of reviews provides a look at the early verdict on the Verizon iPhone. Reviews and some highlights are listed here.
- "With a few minor variations, it looks, feels, and works just like the AT&T iPhone 4"
- iOS 4.2.6
- Good distance on mobile Hotspot
- "if you're using the Internet and your phone rings, your Internet connection immediately drops"
- "This Verizon version of the iPhone 4 seems to have none of the same antenna issues [as the AT&T model]
- Much better with signal / lack of dropped calls than the AT&T model (in San Francisco)
- "the iPhone 4 can give you a solid 4 hours of hotspot/tethering time"
All Things D
- "the Verizon model did much, much better with voice calls"
- "AT&T's network averaged 46% faster at download speeds and 24% faster at upload speeds."
- "Calls were consistently connected and uninterrupted, far more often than our AT&T calls in the same time period in similar locations."
- "data rates on the Verizon iPhone 4 we tested were dramatically slower than those on its AT&T counterpart."
Overall, there seem to be few surprises. Lack of simultaneous voice and data has been known and those in weak AT&T are having much better luck with Verizon, but data speeds are better on AT&T.