iOS 9.3 is coming in the Spring and will introduce Night Shift as well as a number of other new features.
Live Coverage of 'It's Only Rock and Roll' Media Event
- Ars Technica
- iTunes link to iTunes 9 is up (link):
The world's No. 1 music store just got a makeover. With the iTunes Store's beautiful new look, everything you love -- music, movies, TV shows, apps, games, podcasts, and audiobooks -- is even easier to explore.- TouchArcade reports that Apple's iTunes is already showing a new list that addresses some of the concerns developers have had about Apple's Top App Lists. Now, there is a new list ranked by Revenue, not by Units Sold.
- Cocktail appears to be live on the UK store. iTunes LP:
The visual experience of the record album returns with iTunes LP. Get a gorgeous, immersive digital version of select albums -- right in your iTunes library. So while you listen to your favorite songs by your favorite artists, you can also dive into beautifully animated lyrics and liner notes, performance videos, artist and band photos, and more.- iLounge reports that they spotted Greg Grunberg of the TV show Heroes as well as representatives from both Nike and Pandora.
Summary of Event
- Steve Jobs on stage for presentation and receiving a standing ovation.
- Going to talk about music, but first iPhone. Over 30 million iPhones sold in 2 years. 1.8 billion apps sold.
- New today: iPhone OS 3.1. Free. Brings "Genius" to apps. 30,000 ringtones for $1.29 each.
- Now for music. 8.5 billion iTunes songs sold, 100 million accounts. #1 music retailer in the world.
- Introducing iTunes 9: Genius database expanded to include "Genius Mixes", which automatically plays songs from your library that go together
- New syncing options: artists, genres, etc. Also for photos and movies. Manage iPhone apps in iTunes: arrange home screens.
- Home sharing to manage copying of songs, TV shows, apps, etc. to up to 5 computers in your house.
- Cleaner layout for iTunes Store.
- iTunes LP: Album packages with tons of bonus material - lyrics, photos, videos, etc.
- Now showing a demo of iTunes 9.
- iTunes Extras: Bonus material for movies. Similar to DVD bonus features, but also includes interactive material.
- Schiller on stage to talk about iPods.
- Over 220 million sold to date, 73.8% market share. iPod touch is fastest growing product. Over 20 million sold. Plus 30 million iPhones.
- Fastest growing product is the iPod touch: sold 20 million of them. Going over why it's so great...music, video, apps, internet, etc. Great gaming device.
- 21,178 games and entertainment apps on the iPhone/iPod touch. 3,680 for Nintendo DS, 607 for Sony PSP. Now showing video montage of games.
- Developer demos: First up, Ubisoft to talk about Assassin's Creed II. Simultaneous release with other platforms. Put your own photos on wanted posters.
- Tapulous: Previewing Riddim Ribbon, a racing/music game.
- Gameloft: New FPS called "Nova". Very "Halo-like."
- EA: Showing off Madden NFL 2010 to wrap up the demos.
- Schiller back on stage. Talking about iPod touch...most affordable gateway to the App Store. Dropping price on 8 GB model from $229 to $199.
- New iPod touch price points: $199 for 8 GB, $299 for 32 GB, $399 for 64 GB.
- Also making the 32/64 GB versions faster, with ability run OpenGL|ES 2.0 like the iPhone 3GS.
- iPod classic bumped from 120 GB to 160 GB. Same $249 price point.
- iPod shuffle: New third-party headphones with iPod shuffle controls built-in.
- Now five colors for the shuffle: $59 for 2 GB and $79 for 4 GB.
- One more thing: video cameras in iPod nanos. Also includes a speaker.
- Also adding an FM radio, and Genius Mixes.
- Built-in pedometer for Nike+, larger display.
- 8GB for $149, 16GB for $179. Bright, glossy colors. Available today.
- Closing performance from Norah Jones.