Hands-On With macOS Ventura
Apple on Monday introduced macOS Ventura, the newest version of the operating system that runs on the Mac. Set to come out this fall, macOS Ventura is currently available to developers, so we thought we'd take a deep dive to show MacRumors readers all of the new features that are in the update.
Our latest YouTube video highlights Stage Manager, FaceTime
Handoff, Continuity Camera, and more, with a full list of what's covered in the video available below.
- Mail - Mail offers up smart search suggestions that are more relevant to what you're looking for, and there are options to unsend an email message, schedule an email message, get a reminder to reply to an email, and follow up on a message that you send that doesn't get a response. Mail supports rich links, and it can let you know if you forget to add an attachment.
- Spotlight - Spotlight now supports previewing files with Quick Look (just press the space bar), and it includes rich results for contacts, actors, musicians, movies, TV shows, sports, and more. You can also use Spotlight to search for text in images and to look for images by location, scenes, and image content. Spotlight can also perform tasks like setting an alarm, activating a Focus, or running a Shortcut.
- Passkeys - Apple is aiming to replace passwords with Passkeys, a next-generation authentication technology. Passkeys use a two-key system, with one key stored on device and authenticated through Face ID and Touch ID. You'll have one passkey per login, and passkeys will sync across all of your devices and will be accessible on non-Apple devices, too. Passkeys are almost impossible to be phished or stolen, preventing unwanted access to online accounts.
- Shared Tab Groups - Safari Tab Groups can now be shared with friends or family members, so you can bookmark sites collaboratively for planning trips, working on projects, and more. Everyone has access to the tabs that are added, and Tab Groups update instantly for all participants.
- Stage Manager - Stage Manager is a new multitasking feature that organizes your apps and windows into a single view so you can stay focused on your main app while quickly swapping between apps as needed.
- FaceTime Handoff - Handoff supports FaceTime, so you can start a FaceTime call on iPhone and transfer it to the Mac, and vice versa.
- Continuity Camera - With Continuity Camera, an iPhone can be used as a webcam for a Mac. It works seamlessly, and it offers neat features like special lighting and a Desk View so you can show off what you're doing on your desktop. It also supports Center Stage for keeping you in the frame as you move around the room.
- Redesigned System Settings - System Preferences is now System Settings, and the design is more similar to the iOS Settings app. There's a sidebar that lists all of the available settings so it's easier to get to what you need without swapping between preferences.
- Clock and Weather apps - Apple brought the iOS Clock and Weather apps to the Mac for the first time. The apps are identical to what's available on the iPhone and the iPad.
macOS Ventura is limited to developers at the current time, but Apple plans to provide a public beta in July. The operating system will see a public launch this fall.
Apple today announced the next version of macOS, called macOS Ventura, with several new features, including Stage Manager, Continuity Camera, new security updates, and more.
Stage Manager helps you focus on the app you're using without any distractions by arranging all unused apps on the side, with the main and active app in the middle.
Continuity Camera gives macOS users the ability to...
Apple today seeded the second beta of macOS 13 Ventura, the next-generation version of the Mac operating system that's set to launch this fall. The second beta comes two weeks after Apple unveiled the update at WWDC and provided the first beta to developers.
Registered developers can download the beta through the Apple Developer Center and once the appropriate profile is installed, betas...
With the release of the first macOS Ventura beta in the hands of developers, early adopters continue to discover smaller changes in the new version of Apple's Mac operating system. Below are some of the more notable differences that have since come to light since Monday.
Share Sheet Popover
In the first developer beta of macOS 13, Apple no longer displays an item's sharing options in a...
With macOS Ventura, Apple is bringing a native Weather app to the Mac, alongside a new Clock app that lets users set timers, see world clocks, set alarms, and more.
macOS Ventura adds several features to the Mac, including a new way to manage multiple windows with Stage Manager, the ability to use your iPhone as a FaceTime camera, a redesigned experience for System Preferences, now called...
Apple yesterday introduced iOS 16, the newest version of the operating system designed to run on the iPhone. iOS 16 has an overwhelming number of changes, so we thought we'd do an overview to show MacRumors readers all of the new features that they can look forward to when the update comes out this fall.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. You'll want to watch the...
Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) starts today with the traditional keynote kicking things off at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.
We're expecting to see a number of announcements, including iOS 16, macOS 13, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16, though it's unclear what else we'll be seeing at the event.
A redesigned MacBook Air tops the list of potential new hardware, but supply chain issues...
Apple today unveiled iPadOS 16, which includes several new features common to iOS 16 in addition to new collaboration and multitasking features and a dedicated Weather app.
Collaboration is a set of new features available in iOS 16 and iPadOS 16, allowing users to work together on projects in Apple's apps in more ways than ever and in real time. New features in Messages allow users to...
iPadOS 16, Apple's operating system that runs on the iPad, is getting almost all of the great features coming to iOS 16, but there are also iPad-specific additions that make the iPad more Mac-like than ever. In our latest YouTube video, we show off the five best features coming to the iPad this fall.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Stage Manager - Stage Manager ...
The M2 MacBook Pro has started making its way into customers' hands and we're learning more about how it performs in a variety of situations, but all eyes are really on the upcoming M2 MacBook Air which has seen a complete redesign and should be arriving in a couple of weeks.
Other top stories this week included a host of product rumors including additional M2 and even M3 Macs, an updated...
Apple today began selling refurbished Mac Studio models for the first time in the United States, Canada, and select European countries, such as Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
In the United States, two refurbished Mac Studio configurations are currently available, including one with the M1 Max chip (10-core CPU and 24-core GPU) for...
While past rumors have indicated the upcoming second-generation AirPods Pro will feature a built-in heart rate and body temperature sensor, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has cast doubt on those rumors turning out to be true, saying instead such a feature is unlikely to come anytime soon.
"Over the past few months, there have been rumors about this year's model gaining the ability to determine a...
Apple is working on an Apple Watch Series 8 model with a larger display, according to DSCC's Ross Young and Haitong International Securities's Jeff Pu.
In October last year, Young suggested that the Apple Watch Series 8 could come in three display sizes. Now, responding to a query about the rumor on Twitter, Young claims that the additional display size joining the Apple Watch lineup will be ...
The redesigned MacBook Air with the all-new M2 Apple silicon chip will be available for customers starting Friday, July 15, MacRumors has learned from a retail source. The new MacBook Air was announced and previewed during WWDC earlier this month, with Apple stating availability will begin in July. The MacBook Air features a redesigned body that is thinner and lighter than the previous...