Apple Stops Signing iOS 14.4.2 After Releasing iOS 14.5.1 With Fix for Actively Exploited Security Issues

Following today's release of iOS 14.5.1 and last week's release of iOS 14.5, Apple has stopped signing iOS 14.4.2, the previously available version of iOS 14 released on March 26. With iOS 14.4.2 no longer being signed, it is not possible to downgrade to iOS 14.4.2 from iOS 14.5 or iOS 14.5.1 if you've already updated your iPhone or iPad.

iOS 14
Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 14.4.2 was a security update that addressed a vulnerability where processing maliciously crafted web content could lead to universal cross-site scripting. iOS 14.5 released last week addressed a number of security issues, and today's release of iOS 14.5.1 addresses another pair of WebKit issues that may have been actively exploited, so those who have not yet updated should do so.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

Populus Avatar

These articles don’t need to exist.
I disagree, I appreciate to know when I can downgrade or not.
now i see it Avatar
Months and months of iOS 14.5 betas totaling six - then when it finally releases they've got to scramble to fix a security flaw a week later
Jack Neill Avatar
I just downed a iPhone 8 to 14.4.2 yesterday because of some issues I was having. Phew just made it.
BaltimoreMediaBlog Avatar

This is another thing that should be dragged to court, OS downgrade limitations.
I totally agree. I've been saying this for years. The IOS 10 to 11 upgrade cost me nearly 50 free 32 bit games, and there was no way to go back and because Apple forced the upgrade on me as my iPhone was in repair at Apple. Basically, they damaged the unit in my opinion. This is one thing that should be a class action lawsuit that rarely anyone ever mentions. Oh, of course Apple did return my iPhone in full working condition as they call it, but not in the condition I sent it to them, but with only half of my apps functional.
sparkinstx Avatar
I haven't seen any news about it, but WatchOS 7.4.1 was released today. I'm installing it now.

Update: Build is 18T201. Mine is a Series 4.
doboy Avatar

wondering how restore from backup works in this instance. i had a brand new 2020 iPad pro that i returned after learning of the new M1 model. It was not yet on 14.5 when I returned it, so presumably it was on 14.4.2 when I last did an icloud backup before returning it. When receive my new iPad pro, does restore from backup also attempt to install an older SW version, or is it just profile, settings, apps, etc?
No it'll just load your data on top of whatever iOS it comes with.