Apple Reportedly Patches XSS Vulnerability on iCloud's Website

In a blog post shared by ZDNet, security researcher Vishal Bharad claims that he found a bug that would have allowed a hacker to inject a virus or malicious script onto Apple's ‌iCloud‌ website.

24330f3b719ded3a3092a6ff695d8a34

According to Bharad, the vulnerability consisted of creating a Pages or Keynote document on the ‌iCloud‌ website with the name field containing the XSS payload. Sharing the document with another user, creating a change, saving, and then clicking "Browse All Versions" under Settings would have triggered the XSS payload.

Given the vulnerability revolved around the ‌iCloud‌ website, it's not linked to a recent software update and has reportedly been patched by Apple server-side. Bharad says he submitted the issue to Apple on August 7, 2020, and received a $5,000 bounty on October 9, 2020. We've reached out to Apple for comment and we'll update if we hear back.

Razorpit Avatar
Good thing no one ever shares a Pages or Keynote document on iCloud. Could have been catastrophic! ?
locovaca Avatar

I joke about their usage in the real world, but I use Pages and Numbers regularly. It just feels like I'm the only one.
I use them exclusively. They work fine for local content creation and I just export to doc/excel when I need to share.
wfulle Avatar

Maybe it would of been fixed faster if Apple made pages a real competitor to Docs and Word
Razorpit Avatar

sdz Avatar

Fantastically analyzed.
wfulle Avatar

I might actually try them again because I really do like the simplicity and maybe its gotten better.