Today Marks the 11th Anniversary of Steve Jobs Unveiling the iPad
Today marks the 11th anniversary of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs unveiling the original iPad at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.
"iPad is our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price," said Jobs, in a press release on January 27, 2010. "iPad creates and defines an entirely new category of devices that will connect users with their apps and content in a much more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before."
The original iPad featured a 9.7-inch display, a single-core Apple A4 chip, up to 64GB of storage, 256MB of RAM, up to 10 hours of battery life, a 30-pin dock connector, and a headphone jack. Notably, the original iPad did not have any cameras. Pricing started at $499 for the Wi-Fi model and $629 for the cellular model in the United States.
We've recapped some of the bigger milestones in iPad history below:
- March 2011: iPad 2 unveiled with thinner and lighter design, dual-core A5 chip, front and rear cameras, and new white color option
- March 2012: Third-generation iPad introduced with a Retina display, 4G LTE support, and 1080p video recording
- October 2012: Fourth-generation iPad switched to a Lightning connector
- October 2012: iPad mini introduced with a smaller 7.9-inch display
- October 2013: iPad Air unveiled with a 64-bit A7 chip, thinner and lighter design, and slimmer bezels
- October 2014: iPad Air 2 ushered in Touch ID and a fully-laminated Retina display
- September 2015: iPad Pro introduced with a large 12.9-inch Retina display, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, A9X chip, and four speakers
- March 2017: Fifth-generation iPad introduced as an entry-level device with a $329 starting price and the same 9.7-inch display size as the original iPad
- June 2017: Second-generation iPad Pro gained a ProMotion refresh rate up to 120Hz
- October 2018: Third-generation iPad Pro marked a major redesign with slimmer bezels, Face ID, and a USB-C connector
- September 2019: Seventh-generation iPad went from a 9.7-inch to 10.2-inch display and gained full-sized Smart Keyboard support
- March 2020: Fourth-generation iPad Pro gained a LiDAR Scanner for AR
- September 2020: Fourth-generation iPad Air redesigned to look like iPad Pro
Looking ahead, rumors suggest that Apple plans to release a new iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display, support for faster 5G networks, and a faster A14X chip in the first half of 2021. A larger 8.4-inch iPad mini and a new 10.2-inch iPad with slimmer bezels like the third-generation iPad Air are also rumored to launch this year.
ZAGG today announced two new iPad integrated keyboard cases for Apple's iPad models, including the iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro 11-inch.
First up is the Zag Pro Keys, which is compatible with the iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation), the iPad Air 10.9-inch (4th generation), and the iPad 10.2-inch (7th and 8th generation).
The ZAGG Pro Keys features a detachable keyboard with...
Rumors suggest Apple will release refreshed versions of the iPad mini and iPad Pro models in the first half of this year, potentially as soon as this month, and a new leak today has provided us with a possible preview of what to expect in terms of the devices' overall design and camera prospects. Tech leaker and Apple blogger Sonny Dickson this morning shared images on Twitter showing dummy ...
Apple is looking to launch an updated ninth-generation iPad with a larger display, the A13 Bionic chip, 4GB of RAM, and a thinner, lighter design in the first half of this year, according to recent reports.
Reports from cnBeta and Mac Otakara, citing supply chain sources in China, have offered similar projections for the ninth-generation iPad, explaining that the updated device will...
Apple marketing employee Scott Broderick and display engineer Vincent Gu recently spoke with Apple Bitz XL podcast host Brian Tong about the new iPad Pro, including the M1 chip and the Liquid Retina XDR display.
While the Apple employees dodged many of the questions asked in the interview, they did reveal that the new 11-inch iPad Pro's lack of a Liquid Retina XDR display is at least partly...
Apple is planning to release a ninth-generation iPad and sixth-generation iPad mini this year, according to reliable Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman.
In a recent report that mainly focused on Apple's upcoming high-end iPad Pro models, Gurman explained that the company is planning to refresh the cheapest iPads in the product lineup too:Apple plans to refresh its cheapest iPad aimed at...
Today we're tracking the first Amazon discount on Apple's 2021 M1 11-inch iPad Pro. Specifically, you can get the 128GB Wi-Fi model for $749.00, down from $799.00. The tablet is available to ship in one to two business days, and it's only available in Space Gray at this price.
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small ...
Apple's new iOS 15 operating system is compatible with all of the iPhones that are able to run iOS 14, including the original iPhone SE, the iPhone 6s, and the iPhone 6s Plus.
Apple's list of compatible devices confirms that iOS 15 works with all of these iPhones: All iPhone 12 models All iPhone 11 models iPhone XS iPhone XS Max iPhone XR iPhone X iPhone 8 iPhone 8 ...
According to reliable supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple plans to release the sixth-generation iPad mini in the second half of this year, indicating an even more delayed launch for the small form-factor iPad.
In a note related to the launch of an 8-inch foldable iPhone in 2023, Kuo said that recent global changes have helped grow iPad sales and the newly released 11 and 12.9-inch iPad...
The ninth-generation low-cost iPad that Apple is expected to debut in 2021 will feature a design that's based on the third-generation iPad Air that Apple introduced in 2019, reports Mac Otakara, citing Chinese supply chain sources.
The display size is expected to remain the same at 10.2 inches, but it will be "significantly thinner" at 6.3mm. The current eighth-generation iPad is 7.5mm...
Aside from the M1 chip, Apple's 12.9-inch 2021 iPad Pro models have one other standout feature - the new mini-LED display. It's the best ever display used in an iPad, and there's such a stark difference between the mini-LED display and the display of the 2020 iPad Pro that we had to show it off.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. The iPad Pro's mini-LED display, which ...