Apple Releases New 12.2 Software for the HomePod

Alongside the iOS 12.2 update that was introduced following Apple's services-focused "It's Show Time" event, Apple has also debuted a new 12.2 software update designed for the HomePod.

The new ‌HomePod‌ software will be installed automatically on the ‌HomePod‌ after you update to iOS 12.2, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

homepod duo
According to the release notes for the update, the new software for the ‌HomePod‌ is minor in scale and designed specifically for university or enterprise users.

iOS 12.2 includes support for joining most enterprise or university campus 802.1x networks that do not require unique credentials to join.

There are no other features that appear to be included in the ‌HomePod‌ update. Right now, the ‌HomePod‌ is available in the United States, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, China, and Hong Kong. For more details, make sure to check out our HomePod roundup.

Related Roundup: HomePod
Buyer's Guide: HomePod (Buy Now)

gregglesspiked Avatar
HomePod needs way more than a minor update, it needs an overhaul. Siri is pathetic
ipedro Avatar
It’s pretty amazing that people invest so much money into homepods but don’t take the time to learn about the above!
That’s the thing. Most of the people who criticize HomePod, don’t own one. They just repeat the criticisms they hear from other people and around and around it goes.
ipedro Avatar
Works perfectly for me.

Agreed....this is why Alexa even got its foot in my doorway....Apples SLOW SLOW SLOW progress on SIRI and Homepod
Psst... I’m gonna let you in on a secret**... You can install “Skills” on HomePod. I order food on my HomePod, I start meditation sessions with Headspace on my HomePod, I log my water intake and food consumption in Waterminder and myfitnesspal apps on my HomePod, I record voice clips in my Day One journal on my HomePod, I check off habits in Streaks on my HomePod, and play Pandora and Tunein radio on my HomePod, aaaand I even get the news from Google News, yep, you guessed it: all on my HomePod.

Siri Shortcuts have been out since September. They’re the same as Alexa Skills and in just 6 months, there have been hundreds of them added.

**not really a secret. I don’t know how so many people have managed to ignore that Siri Shortcuts work as a way to expand HomePod’s capabilities like Alexa Skills do for Amazon Echo.
JesseDee Avatar
Remy149 Avatar
HomePod is useless without Bluetooth support,I really don’t understand the reasoning why Airpods support bluetooth but not HomePod?
If you are 100% in Apple ecosystem you have no need for Bluetooth. Ironically even everyone in my social circle also use Apple devices. Airplay 2 is wonderful I own a HomePod and a Sonos surrounded system.
UltimaKilo Avatar
Yep, the amazing sound is not enough. Why pack an A10 in the thing if it's not being taken advantage of?