Nearly One-Third of iPhone Users Still Have 4-Inch Screens

The latest data from Mixpanel shows that approximately 32.22% of active iPhone users still have a 4-inch screen. That is the same screen size as the so-called "iPhone 5se" that Apple is expected to announce at its rumored March 15 event.

Apple has released three iPhone models with 4-inch screens since 2013, including the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s, and some customers still feel these smartphones have the best screen size for pocketability and one-handed usage.

iPhone-4-inch
Apple's newest 4-inch smartphone, the iPhone 5s, represented just under 20 percent of current iPhones in use, trailed by the iPhone 5 at 7.53 percent and the plastic-backed iPhone 5c at 5.66 percent. The numbers fluctuate slightly in real time.

In the company's latest earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that 60 percent of older-generation iPhone users have yet to upgrade to the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, or iPhone 6s Plus.

Right now, customers that want a 4-inch iPhone have to settle for the over two-year-old iPhone 5s's outdated tech specs, and the smartphone also lacks many new features such as Apple Pay, 3D Touch, and Live Photos.

For that reason, the "iPhone 5se" with a rumored 4-inch screen, Apple's newest A9 chip, Live Photos, and purported price of around $500 may prove to be a more popular option among prospective iPhone buyers.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

mscuthbert Avatar
On a 4" 5S, holding out for a new 4" phone. I'd go back to 3.5" if I could -- I'm not cheap, I just prefer to use an iPad Mini or Macbook Air when I need a larger screen.
aajeevlin Avatar
Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, but I know several people who still have an iPhone 4/4S or an iPhone 5S/C because the "iPhone 6 is too big." I certainly think there's a market for 4" devices, but Apple knows more than me.

Some people on this forum says that 4" is too big and want a 3.5" phone. I never felt the jump from 4S -> 5 was that massive.
Another problem is that Apple made the bezel so big. Compared to another phone of same screen size, iPhone tends to be bigger due to the bezel. I like the "size" of the iPhone 5, but if they can do 4.7inch with smaller bezel, I'd take that.
Traverse Avatar

FSMBP Avatar
If Apple offered a iPhone 6s inwards into a 4" frame, I would get it in a heart-beat.
Mac Fly (film) Avatar
iPhone 6 is too big for my hands and jean pockets. Please give us an iPhone 6s mini and not a watered down iPhone. I'd be willing to pay iPhone 6s money.
sunapple Avatar
Went from a 3.5" iPhone to 4", back to 3.5" and then to 4.7". Last week i switched to 5.5". Each time I thought the size was great, and I easily got used to them. 5.5" is great though, not going back.