kwiksetpremisKwikset, the company behind the Kevo Smart Lock, today announced the launch of its first HomeKit-compatible product, the Kwikset Premis. Joining the Schlage Sense, the Premis is one of two smart locks available that work with Apple's HomeKit platform.

With HomeKit compatibility, the Premis can be used in Scenes and Triggers alongside other HomeKit products, and it's able to respond to Siri voice commands to allow for voice control over a home's front door lock.

"Kwikset closely listens to feedback and monitors new technologies to develop products that meet consumer needs," said Keith Brandon, Vice President of Residential Access Solutions, Kwikset. "Premis was specifically developed to work with Apple HomeKit, a simple and secure smart home technology we truly believe in and are excited to support."

When paired with a third-generation Apple TV or later, the Premis can be used remotely to lock or unlock the door to let guests inside. Home owners can also assign up to 30 unique user codes to guests for use when the home owner isn't present.

The app that accompanies the Premis can be used to schedule the aforementioned codes for specific times, and it also lets users keep an eye on lock status, check battery life, and receive notifications whenever the lock is used.

Design wise, the Premis features an LED display and capacitive touchscreen that's used to input guest codes, plus there's a standard keyhole for manual operation. The Premis runs on four AA batteries and Kwikset says installation can be done with a screwdriver and a ruler.

Kwikset's Premis will be available for purchase later in 2016. Pricing information is not yet available.

Trik Avatar
"Siri, play Three Doors Down" ... "Ok, opening front door." doh!
TheRealTVGuy Avatar
I'm still waiting for someone to introduce an NFC lock that will let me lock and unlock my front door with just my Apple Watch, as easily as I use Apple Pay at checkout.

WITHOUT having to have my iPhone on me. The point is to take as little as possible when I go running.
heimo Avatar
I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
macduke Avatar
"Siri, play Three Doors Down" ... "Ok, opening front door." doh!
You joke, but I have no HomeKit devices. Our car was wrecked from debris falling off a truck over the holidays and the car has been in the shop. My sister let me borrow her car while she was on a trip, and we forgot our garage opener (car is 120 miles away) and can't find the second. So every day when I get home, I just have my wife push the button. I dictate a message on my watch, and it keeps saying I don't have the equipment to do that. I just say "Text my wife Open the garage door please." And she always thinks I'm trying to do HomeKit. I've learned to say "Text my wife Garage door please" and that works. Apparently the open command overrides anything before it. Some smart AI Siri has turned out to be!
Iconoclysm Avatar
"Siri, play Three Doors Down" ... "Ok, opening front door." doh!
That's what you'd get for listening to that crap! The Doors would have been a much better in that joke.
rdlink Avatar
Aside from the fact that the KEVO was a piece of junk, and they charged you for "keys" Kwikset makes lousy, insecure locks. No thanks at any price.