Incipio and AT&T have partnered to produce the Cashwrap Mobile Wallet Case, which is an iPhone case that supports NFC and the Isis Mobile Wallet, allowing its users to pay with their smartphones at participating stores.
The Isis Mobile Wallet is an app designed to let users make payments with their phones. The mobile app works with Android apps without the need for a case, but because the iPhone does not support NFC, customers who wish to use Isis will need the Cashwrap case.
Using the Incipio Cashwrap™ Case, consumers with an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and 5S can utilize the Isis Mobile Wallet® to pay and save at stores with just a tap of their smartphone. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds participating payment and loyalty cards, as well as offers. The Incipio® Cashwrap™ Mobile Wallet Case is the only Near Field Communication (NFC) mobile solution for iPhone 5/5s.
The case comes in a variety of color combinations and includes both a secure element microNFC and a Micro-USB cable. Users will also need the free Isis app and a supported account from Wells Fargo, Chase, American Express, and more.
The Cashwrap Mobile Wallet Case can be purchased from the AT&T website for $69.99 and will be in AT&T stores beginning on January 31.
Update: AT&T has also released an iPhone 4/4s version of the OtterBox Defender case that is compatible with the Isis system.
Top Rated Comments
Apple is not going to release NFC!! Apple is not going to put a Nfc radio chip in the iPhone 6. Bluetooth LE is so much better for the type of features that phone manufacturers use NFC for. The technology is too old and the radios are too weak. I NFC signal can barely make it through the fabric of your pants.
* The case covers your Lightning Connector on the bottom of the phone. Charging is available with the supplied USB cable on the side of the case, but it isn't Lightning Connector - it's microUSB.
* The headphone jack becomes more recessed and some headsets may not be able to connect.
* The supplied USB does not pass iPod information to car stereos, so you may lose the ability to play music from your phone in the car.
* On the ISIS platform, you can set up an American Express Serve account which is a prepaid card you can load from another credit, debit or checking account. AMEX will start you off with $20 in credits and you can then receive up to 20% back on purchases, up to $200 in credits. This can more than offset the price of the case.
* Additional ISIS incentives include three free Coke purchases tied to MyCokeRewards, and $15 off $30 or more purchase at ToysRUs. Limited Time Offer, check for details at paywithisis.com
its kind of like how we still use magnetic strip cards in the US rather than chip and pin