FileMaker Pro 12 Adds New 'Starter Solutions' and Broadens iOS Integration
Apple subsidiary FileMaker today announced the launch of its new lineup of FileMaker 12 database applications, launching new themes and "Starter Solutions" to help users get up and running, as well as significantly enhancing integration with iOS devices.
"Databases only boost productivity if people genuinely enjoy using them," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services, FileMaker, Inc. "Everyone wants a great database, but not everyone is a great designer. Let FileMaker 12 handle the design and you’ll create dazzling databases that are incredibly easy to use, on iPad, iPhone, desktop and the web."
Among the key new features in FileMaker 12:
- Over 40 new themes specifically designed to translate among desktop, iPad, and iPhone. New tools help users customize the default themes to create their own unique database documents.
- Sixteen rebuilt Starter Solutions provide templates upon which users can build their databases depending on the type of data being stored. As with themes, the templates can be easily customized to suit users' needs.
- Enhanced container fields for storing files within databases, improving performance and ease of use.
- Quick Charts for streamlining the process of creating new charts based off of database entries.
- Significantly enhanced iOS compatibility with free new FileMaker Go apps for iPad [App Store] and iPhone [App Store]. The new apps are compatible only with Filemaker 12, and the company continues to offer the $39.99/$19.99 FileMaker Go 11 apps for use with earlier versions of the software.
Pricing for FileMaker 12 on the desktop remains the same as in the previous version, with FileMaker Pro 12 priced at $299 for new users and $179 for upgrade users and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced checking in at $499 and $299 respectively. The basic FileMaker Server 12 is priced at $999/$599, while FileMaker Server 12 Advanced carries a price tag of $2,999/$1,799. All versions are available today.