A firefighter in the Pennsylvanian town of East Brandywine experienced a close call with his iPhone 4 earlier this month, according to a post on the East Brandywine Fire Company's website.
While charging the phone using the Apple provided computer connection, the phone spontaneously caught fire.
After the phone fell to the floor igniting the carpet, the phone was thrown out a nearby window.
Despite the phone being relatively small it produced a large volume of smoke and a noxious smell.
The department notes that the phone has been sent to Apple headquarters in California so the company's engineers can investigate the exact cause of the fire.
This isn't the first time an iPhone has caught fire, but the incidents appear to be unrelated. Earlier this year, Apple initiated a worldwide replacement program for the first-generation iPod Nano, which, in rare cases, could overheat and pose a safety risk to users.