Early iPhone 3.0-Enabled Push Notification Apps
With the release of iPhone 3.0, one of the big features anticipated was "Push Notifications". This system allows applications to send you notices even when they are not the currently running application. A running list of app updates can be scanned at AppShopper, but here are a list of apps we've found that support Push Notifications now. We haven't tried them all so can't specifically endorse them, but many are free to try:
- AreMySitesUp (Free) - This version enables Push Notifications on site checks, so you can find out about your server status even faster!
- Tap Tap Revenge (Free) - Support for Push Notifications on iPhone OS 3! Tap Tap's icon on the Springboard will be badged with an unread count for new feed items. SMS-style alerts will arrive when you're challenged to a game by your friends.
- Star Defense ($5.99) - Send your friends direct challenges via push notifications.
- Pollen (Push) (Free) - Pollen is your simple guide to the pollen levels in your area of the United Kingdom with added Map View and Push Notifications
- Weather Alert ($0.99) - True Apple push notifications
- AP Mobile (Free) - Get breaking news alerts even when AP Mobile is not open.
- Leaf Trombone ($0.99) - notifications on all pending performances and judging.
- E*Trade Mobile Pro (Free) - Enable push notifications for stock alerts and account alerts from the Mobile Pro settings page
- Hey Where Are You (Free) - HeyWAY uses Apple's brand new Push Notification Service, your alerts are delivered even when the application is not running.
- Textfree Unlimited ($5.99) - On iPhone OS 3.0, you can get notified of texts even when youre not in the app.
We're still waiting on the first instant messaging app to support Push. None of the major ones have been updated, though future support for Push has been announced for several.
In 2021, Apple introduced a feature that lets residents of participating U.S. states add their driver's license or ID to the Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch, providing a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age. Unfortunately, states have been slow to adopt the feature since it was first announced in September 2021, with IDs in the Wallet app only available ...
Apple last month confirmed that iOS 17.4 will be released in March, and the update includes several new features and changes for the iPhone. Key new features in iOS 17.4 include major App Store changes in the EU and Apple Podcasts transcripts. The update also adds new emoji and includes preparations for the launch of next-generation CarPlay later this year. More details about the new...
Following the launch of Apple's Vision Pro headset, attention has shifted towards what is next on the company's agenda this year. As usual, March should be eventful for Apple, as it is expected to release new MacBook Air, iPad Pro, and iPad Air models during the month. In a recent press release, Apple also confirmed that iOS 17.4 will be released in March. Below, we recap what to expect...
Apple's recent iOS 17.3 software update includes an important new feature that all iPhone users should know about: Stolen Device Protection. The Wall Street Journal last year reported about thieves spying on an iPhone user's passcode before stealing the device, often in public places like bars. With knowledge of the passcode, the thief can then change the victim's Apple ID password, turn off ...
Apple is speeding up development of a smart ring that can be worn on the finger to track users' health biometrics, claims a new report coming out of Korea. Teaser image of Samsung Galaxy Ring shown at Galaxy Unpacked in January Apple has toyed with the idea of a ring wearable for several years, as indicated by several patents, but with Samsung preparing to bring its own product to market, the ...