But according to a document claimed to be from internal Apple sales training for the release of unlocked iPhone 4s and sent to MacRumors, the move is actually a broader one: All AT&T iPhone 4s sold at the no commitment pricing now automatically come unlocked, even if sold with an AT&T micro-SIM.
There are two ways customers can buy an unlocked iPhone 4 at the Apple Store.The remainder of the 18-page document covers such topics as the use of a "floater" micro-SIM to activate unlocked iPhones and provide Personal Setup for customers buying devices without an AT&T service plan, purchase limits (five per transaction), exchange processes, and the use of queue cards to manage distribution if customer demand exceeds supply.
1. Buy an unlocked iPhone without a micro-SIM card inside for $649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB). Here are the new part numbers:
- MC603LL/A iPhone 4 Black 16GB
- MC604LL/A iPhone 4 White 16GB
- MC605LL/A iPhone 4 Black 32GB
- MC606LL/A iPhone 4 White 32GB
This is the best option for a customer who will not be using AT&T.
These customers will need to contact their GSM carrier of choice to obtain a micro-SIM card and wireless service. Do not hand out micro-SIM cards to customers purchasing iPhone 4 without a micro- SIM card.
2. Buy any iPhone 4 with an AT&T micro-SIM card inside at full price. These models will also be unlocked whether the customer signs up for an AT&T service plan or chooses the Device Only purchase option.
Note: All devices sold at the unsubsidized prices of $649 and $749 will be unlocked and can be activated and used on supported GSM carrier networks.