New in OS X: Get MacRumors Push Notifications on your Mac

Resubscribe Now Close

Overheating iPod Nano and Frayed MagSafe Replacements

Apple has issued a statement and a knowledge base article addressing two separate support issues that may require product replacement.

The first issue received publicity today surrounding a Japanese report that certain iPod nanos may be a fire risk.

Japan on Tuesday warned users of Apple iPod nanos of a potential fire risk after two new instances in which the popular portable music players overheated.

This appears to affect only the first generation (tall rectangular) iPod nanos sold in Sept 2005 - Dec 2006. Apple quickly released a statement today acknowledging the problem:

Apple has determined that in very rare cases batteries in first generation iPod nanos sold between September 2005 and December 2006 can overheat causing failure and deformation of the iPod nano.

Any first generation iPod nano customers with any battery overheating issues or issues should contact AppleCare for replacement.

The second issue is one that with regard to fraying MagSafe power adapters that have been used in the MacBook and MacBook Pros. This issue has received some publicity amongst support forums. Apple has posted a knowledge base article indicating that affected customers may be eligible for replacement even if your adapter is out-of-warranty.

You may notice a separation of the white insulation on the magnetic end of the MagSafe adapter. Under continued use, the cable may discolor and the rubber molding may become deformed.

Affected customers should visit a local Apple Store for evaluation and replacement.

Update: Owners of the pre-MagSafe adapters may also qualify for replacements if their adapters suffer from the same symptoms.