When Will iOS 17 Be Released? [Update: It's Out!]
First announced in June at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 are Apple's next-generation operating systems for iPhone and iPad. Developers and public beta testers have spent the past few months trying out the new versions while Apple has been refining them, and a full public release is coming soon.
iOS 17 includes new features for Phone, FaceTime, and Messages, along with small improvements for other apps and an all-new app that's coming later this year for journaling. Among other updates, iPadOS 17 adds a new Lock Screen experience that mirrors the updated Lock Screen Apple brought to the iPhone with iOS 16, including customizations and widgets.
iOS 17 Release Date and Time
iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 became available for registered members of Apple's developer program immediately following the WWDC keynote on June 5, and Apple released the initial public betas on July 12.
At its "Wonderlust" media event on Tuesday, September 12, Apple announced that iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 will be released to the public on Monday, September 18. watchOS 10 and tvOS 17 will also be released on that date, while macOS Sonoma will come the following week on Tuesday, September 26.
While Apple has not announced an exact time for the iOS 17 release, such updates typically arrive around 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Assuming that pattern holds this year, iOS 17 will be available at approximately these times around the world:
- Honolulu, Hawaii — 7:00 a.m. HAST
- Anchorage, Alaska — 9:00 a.m. AKDT
- Cupertino, California — 10:00 a.m. PDT
- Phoenix, Arizona — 10:00 a.m. MST
- Vancouver, Canada — 10:00 a.m. PDT
- Denver, Colorado — 11:00 a.m. MDT
- Dallas, Texas — 12:00 noon CDT
- New York, New York — 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Toronto, Canada — 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Halifax, Canada — 2:00 p.m. ADT
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil — 2:00 p.m. BRT
- London, United Kingdom — 6:00 p.m. BST
- Berlin, Germany — 7:00 p.m. CEST
- Paris, France — 7:00 p.m. CEST
- Cape Town, South Africa — 7:00 p.m. SAST
- Moscow, Russia — 8:00 p.m. MSK
- Helsinki, Finland — 8:00 p.m. EEST
- Istanbul, Turkey — 8:00 p.m. TRT
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates — 9:00 p.m. GST
- Delhi, India — 10:30 p.m. IST
- Jakarta, Indonesia — 12:00 a.m. WIB next day
- Shanghai, China — 1:00 a.m. CST next day
- Singapore — 1:00 a.m. SGT next day
- Perth, Australia — 1:00 a.m. AWST next day
- Hong Kong — 1:00 a.m. HKT next day
- Seoul, South Korea — 2:00 a.m. KST next day
- Tokyo, Japan — 2:00 a.m. JST next day
- Adelaide, Australia — 2:30 a.m. ACST next day
- Sydney, Australia — 3:00 a.m. AEST next day
- Auckland, New Zealand — 5:00 a.m. NZST next day
iOS 17 is compatible with the iPhone XR/iPhone XS and later, which means it drops support for the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.
iPadOS 17 is compatible with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation and later), 11-inch iPad Pro (all models), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air (3rd generation and later), iPad (6th generation and later), and iPad mini (5th generation and later). iPadOS 17 drops support for the fifth-generation iPad and the first-generation iPad Pro compared to iOS 16.