Apple Said to be Phasing Out Third-Generation Apple TV

Apple is said to be in the process of phasing out the third-generation Apple TV, according to 9to5Mac.

A source who spoke to the tech news site has indicated that Apple is pulling the device from its brick-and-mortar retail stores, with staff instructed to remove any remaining models from store shelves.

Apple TV comparison
The claim comes despite the fact that the third-generation device is still available to purchase under the TV heading of Apple's online store, albeit at the bottom of the section page, with the option to compare the model with the fourth-generation device also still listed.

The third-generation Apple TV was released back in 2012 and received a spec bump the following year, but the model lacks the App Store native to tvOS, which also benefits from deep Siri integration and a touch-based remote that doubles as a controller.

Related Roundup: Apple TV
Buyer's Guide: Apple TV (Don't Buy)

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...

iapplelove Avatar
I'm still using a 3rd gen. It does everything I need it to do.

I can see myself keeping it for a long time too.
godrifle Avatar
I still don't even know what the 4th gen does that my 3rd gen can't. Games? Ha.

As far as apps are concerned, I don't think that there is anything the 4th gen does that an iPhone w/AirPlay + a 3rd gen can't do.

Meanwhile, VUDU support is still awful. No native app and no AirPlay support.
Plex.
decimortis Avatar
I'm still using a 3rd gen. It does everything I need it to do.

I can see myself keeping it for a long time too.
Same. We've had ours since 2012 and it continues to provide everything we need. We're not heavy aTV users: so long as it does YouTube, Netflix, and AirPlay, we're good.
jonnysods Avatar
When they get 4k content and a 4k device I'll get rid of my third gen
lederermc Avatar
I hope Apple would replace the 3rd gen ATV with an Airplay Only version (with video mirroring) for about $35.
err404 Avatar
What the aTV4 does is more in potential. It allows other content providers to offer native apps w/o needing a special deal with Apple.
However in reality, the aTV3 hits most of the big requirements for a streaming device.