Apple News is an all-new app on iOS 9 that aggregates stories from several sources into one mobile-friendly format for reading on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app is very similar to existing news apps such as Flipboard and Zine, displaying a list of news articles and personalized stories based on publications that interest you.
International readers should note that Apple News is currently available in the U.S. only.
Apple allows publishers of all sizes to sign up to be included on Apple News using News Publisher, ranging from traditional publications such as The New York Times, CNN, ESPN, The Atlantic, The Daily Mail and Slate to independent blogs such as MacRumors, TouchArcade and Daring Fireball.
During setup, you can choose news publications and topics that interest you, including business, technology, fashion, sports and more. You can also choose to have news stories emailed straight to your inbox.
News stories are displayed in a scrollable grid and have interactive layouts accompanied by photo galleries, videos and animations, and content can be shared for offline reading. Apple News Format is also coming soon, which integrates with a publisher's existing content management system and provides access to a rich suite of tools to measure user engagement with published content.
Apple News is split into five sections:
- For You: A continuously updated feed of personalized stories based on your likes and interests
- Favorites: The latest news from your favorite publications, magazines and blogs
- Explore: Recommended topics and channels that you are not following yet
- Search: Enter keywords to discover and add specific topics and channels
- Saved: Save articles into a list that supports offline reading and syncs to your other iOS devices through iCloud
Be sure to add MacRumors to Apple News for the latest news and rumors delivered right to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.