Google is in the process of updating all of its apps with its new Material Design interface guidelines, and as of today, the Google app for iOS has been updated with the new look. Material Design, which Google says is based on ink and paper, uses grid-based layouts, responsive animations, and depth effects to create clean, touchable interface elements.
Along with adding new Material Design animations, the Google app has been updated to take advantage of the larger screens on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and it now displays bigger photos in image search.
Google's update includes more than just design changes, as the app has been completely rebuilt. There's a new "Google" button that lets users search with just one tap anywhere in the app, and Google Maps integration has been added, letting users check out interactive maps and Google Street View within the app. A new "recents" button is also designed to let users keep track of the searches they've conducted.
Introducing the new Google app
Completely rebuilt to bring you the best of Google:
- Recents--see & return to your recently visited pages
- Google button--start a new search with just one tap
- Google Maps--explore interactive maps, nearby places & Street View right inside the app (for iPhone)
New look and feel:
- Beautiful new Material Design animations
- Bigger photos in image search
-Looks great on the new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus