Just over a year ago, popular workout tracking app RunKeeper announced that it was working on support for the Pebble smart watch, which ultimately broke a number of records in raising over $10 million on Kickstarter. With Pebbles having started shipping earlier this year, RunKeeper today announced the availability of updated versions of its iOS and Android apps to provide Pebble integration.

runkeeper_pebble
Integration is relatively simple for the time being, with a paired Pebble automatically displaying elapsed time, distance, and pace when a RunKeeper activity is underway, although TechCrunch reports that the RunKeeper team is working on expanding functionality.

This version of RunKeeper for Pebble is just a start, [RunKeeper CEO Jason] Jacobs says, noting that during the development process they realized they could add in much more, like setting pace on the smart watch, setting distance targets and more. RunKeeper also worked closely with Pebble to get this particular integration developed, and says we’ll see similar UI elements used as other fitness tracking apps come on board. Future work could go into helping RunKeeper differentiate its experience further as the development ecosystem for Pebble progresses.

For those who did not order Pebble through Kickstarter, the smart watch is available for pre-order with delivery scheduled for summer. RunKeeper is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

NightFox Avatar
Could you please send me a link to the device you've developed?

Where has this stupid idea come from over the last few years that you can't criticise something unless you've done better yourself? I can't play football but I can recognise bad play, I can't do joinery but I can recognise bad workmanship, I can't direct a movie but I know when I'm watching a turkey. Get the idea?
JoeyCloverfield Avatar
so you still need your iphone with you when you go running? Oh yes that watch is so useful.

Could you please send me a link to the device you've developed?
Keebler Avatar
i like yoga pants
needfx Avatar
At last!! I can finally become a marathon runner!
kugino Avatar

i get that you can't do much.
Treq Avatar
how is it usefull that i have to, while running around, carry a big smartphone in my pocket? Have you ever ran with an iphone or any other phone around? It's annoying and uncomfortable.

Plenty useful. Many people ride/run with their phone. Just because you find it uncomfortable, doesn't mean everybody, or even most, people will as well. I don't have a use for this function myself, but I can clearly see how lots of people will find it useful.