Amazon has released an iPhone app for its Prime Instant Video service, giving free access to thousands of titles to Amazon Prime members, as well as movie and TV show purchases and rentals. The iPad app was released in August.
The app allows users to download purchased and rented movies and TV shows for offline viewing, as well as stream Prime Instant Video titles when connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Cellular data isn't supported, nor is AirPlay. Amazon also keeps track of the user's place in a video, allowing it to be resumed at the same point on other supported devices like a TV, Mac or Kindle Fire.
With Amazon Instant Video, you can:
- Stream thousands of titles available from Prime Instant Video at no additional cost with a Prime membership, or watch over 140,000 videos available from the Amazon Instant Video store
- Download purchased and rented videos from Your Video Library
- Shop over 140,000 videos available from the Amazon Instant Video store by visiting Amazon
- Add videos to Your Watchlist from a PC, Mac, or Kindle Fire HD for later viewing on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch
- Subscribe to a TV Season Pass by visiting Amazon and episodes will automatically be available in your Amazon Instant Video app the day after they air
- Start watching on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, and resume watching right where you left off on a Kindle Fire HD, PlayStation3, Xbox 360, PC, Mac, or hundreds of models of connected TVs and Blu-ray players with Amazon Whispersync.