ted logo tagline
The crew at Improv Everywhere was invited to participate in a talk at TED, an annual conference in Long Beach, California that focuses on “Ideas Worth Sharing.”

Charlie Todd explains the story behind the prank on Improv Everywhere's website:

For the conference this year, the TED curators approached me about staging something unexpected to surprise their audience. We had previously staged a musical prank at a conference, but I wanted to do something new and different for TED. I came up with the idea to have a fake speaker give a talk and make it seem like his big moment in the spotlight had been ruined by a computer crash. Apple users love to hate the notorious Spinning Beach Ball of Death. I started with that image and set out to heighten it to absurdity.

BC2009 Avatar
This stuff happens to us every day at my university, though it only tends to happen on our PCs :D

Are you serious? You get dancers and music and everything every day?!?!?! I want to go to your university. :)
baryon Avatar
FrizzleFryBen Avatar
That made my day!
goatless Avatar
I bet any Apple employees in the audience were freaking out at first.

To be honest, I haven't seen a spinning beach ball since I upgraded my 2009 model MBP to 8 gigs. Coincidental? Maybe, maybe not.
MasterHowl Avatar
Hah I think I was smiling all the way through that routine! Brilliant!
winks360 Avatar
Has anyone else noticed that the color on the beach ball does not spin??