The U.K.'s O2 has updated their site with information about the iPhone 3G launch. As previously reported, they admit that there will be very limited stock of iPhones at their O2 and Carphone Warehouse locations.
- O2 and Carphone Warehouse (CPW) stores will have limited numbers of iPhone 3G this Friday 11 July.
- On average, we will only have a few dozen iPhone 3Gs per store (some stores more, some stores less, dependant upon store size so we expect to sell out quickly). Sales of iPhone 3G will be limited to one per customer and two for business customers.
- Some O2 stores will open at 8.02am on Friday, others a bit later. Find out more
- If you do go into an O2 store you will need 2 forms of identification, a valid credit or debit card and proof of address. If you are new to O2 you will also need to pass a credit check if you sign up for an iPhone 3G contract. The average sales transaction processing time will be 20 minutes.
- Apple will be selling iPhone 3Gs in their stores, but please note that existing O2 customers can only upgrade in an O2 or CPW store.
- We are working closely with Apple to get additional iPhone 3Gs. These will be coming in on a weekly basis. We'll keep you posted on specific details by updating this web page regularly.
- We are currently out of stock of iPhone 3Gs via our on-line store, we'll update through www.o2.co.uk when more information becomes available.
- If you have an existing iPhone you can still enjoy many of the new features by upgrading your software to version 2.0 from 11 July through iTunes.
- We are sorry that we can't meet all demand as quickly as we'd like but we're sure that when you get your new iPhone 3G you'll agree it's been worth the wait.
The most important detail appears to be that while Apple Stores will have iPhone stock, they will only be able to sign up new service. Existing O2 customers who are looking to upgrade, need to go to O2 or Carphone Warehouse stores.