More Details of the MacBook Pro and Intel iMac
Apple's newly announced MacBook Pro will be shipping in February, but there are many unanswered questions about details of the new systems.
MacCentral offers a Q&A reference which addresses many of the issues that have been raised. In summary:
- Slower, single layer, DVD burner. The reason cited is that an ultra-slimline designed optical drive is required for the MacBook 1" thinkness form factor.
- S-Video port is gone, but a $19 adapter will give you S-Video again
- No Modem, No FW 800
- Brighter Screen but 60 less pixels vertically
- No official battery rating yet, but expectations are comparable battery life to previous PowerBooks
- The PowerBook 15" PowerPC is only available while supplies last, so has indeed been replaced by the MacBook Pro
- 12" and 17" PowerPC PowerBooks remain on sale.
Meanwhile, Xlr8YourMac notes that the new Intel Macs (MacBook and iMac) do include the following features:
- Boot from external Firewire drive
- Boot into Target Disk Mode
- Use Startup Manager ("opt" startup)
- Support full desktop support across dual monitors (not just mirroring)