Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac
Some final details are filled in by AppleP58, author of the PDF:
- it is a slim power supply, originally identical to the XServe's with two fans 'attatched' to the end of it (as you may see in older photographs). The final product is 2 inches longer with the 2 fans built in (3 fans in power supply total)
- has a slide-on back cover which pulls off to access the IDE and power cables
- The Hard Drives: The two vertically mounted drives under the powersupply have a pop-off holder with a plastic hook; there is 1 screw which is there for the sole purpose of keeping it from falling out during shipping, as the instructions will attest to in the final product. The 2 horizontally mounted drives, under the optical drives, have a slide out
design with 3 mushrooms to catch on like a rail on top, it slides in and has a plastic latch.
- The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port (like on the P80 iMac, iBook & PowerBook), and is not in the final product because it was only needed for testing the units sans-video card.
- Thermal grease will be used on the MPUs instead of black thermal pads.
- There will be single and dual processor MPUs used. It will use DDR.
- The new model P58 was not announced at MacWorld because of troubles with the XServe (P69) in production, the initial order of 4000 has been dificult to fulfill, and has taken up a lot of time of several departments traveling... I'll leave it at that.
- The metal area on the front panel is glossed aluminum, and as you can see in the photos has mylar covering it causing the haze, it is NOT brushed aluminum nor has it ever been.
- The case IS silver like the P57, has a white & silver speaker, and a hole handle with a larger ring in the side door.
This is the his/her last submission.